I picked up a share of beef from my local farmer a couple of weeks ago and I seem to have a ton of ground beef in the freezer to use up. I also had a few other key Mexican food ingredients like Wholly Salsa, black beans, and cheddar cheese so I threw them all together into a layered pie with a few whole wheat tortillas. It actually came out amazing…which doesn’t always happen when I am ‘winging it’ with a recipe! I figured I would share my successful adventure!
Easy Layered Taco Pie
- Five 8 inch whole wheat tortillas
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 10 ounces salsa (I used Roasted Tomato Wholly Salsa)
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saute pan heat the olive oil and brown the ground beef
- Add the beans, salsa, and taco seasoning and simmer 5 to 10 minutes
- Grease the inside of an 8 inch round casserole dish
- Layer in the following order: 1 tortilla, 1 cup filling, sprinkle of cheese. Continue layering until you get to the top of the dish or you run out of ingredients. Make the last layer on top be cheese.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes until bubbly and cheese is browned.
Disclaimer: I was provided the salsa I used in this recipe at no charge from Wholly Guacamole but all opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.