A few months ago, I came across a quinoa recipe that sounded good and had fun browsing through my local natural foods store to find quinoa….did you know it comes in red, black or white? So, of course it came in huge containers and now I have most of that huge container still in my pantry! Well, I decided to try my hand at grinding my own quinoa flour for use in this recipe! You don’t actually need to grind your own…you can buy quinoa flour already premade and ready to go. Feel free to stuff these crepes with whatever your little heart desires! Berries and yogurt, bananas and Nutella, or whatever you have that sounds good!
Quinoa Crepes with Sausage, Egg and Cheese filling
- For the Crepes:
- 1 cup quinoa flour
- 1½ cup milk
- ½ tbsp grape seed oil
- A pinch of salt
- For the Filling:
- 6 eggs, scrambled with a little bit of water. Cook in nonstick frying pan over medium heat until done.
- ½ pound ground sausage cooked and drained
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Serve with a side of salsa and garnished with parsley!
- Combine quinoa flour, milk, grape seed oil and salt in a large bowl. Using a whisk, mix well making sure there are no lumps. Let it stand for 20 minutes. (now is a good time to make the filling…skip to the bottom!)
- Heat a 10-inch non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Brush the non-stick pan with a little grapes seed oil or spray with non stick spray. Scoop a ladle full of batter into the pan turning the pan in a circular motion to spread it out and make sure the batter spreads evenly.
- Once the edges start to lift and the bottom is lightly brown, flip the crepe with a thin spatula. Make sure the bottom of the crepe does not stick to the pan before you start to flip!
- Cook for one or two more minutes and remove the crepe from the pan. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Fill with prepared filling, folding into quarters to serve. Add a side of salsa and parsley for garnish if desired.