This conversation about how to thank the military this 4th of July is sponsored by Outback and Social Chorus but all opinions expressed are my own.
When I was growing up, my father was in the Naval Reserves. Some of my earliest memories if him include those shiny shoes, formal navy uniform and that flat topped white hat with the black brim. He always looked so handsome in that uniform! He was in the Naval Reserves for 25 years and I like to think that at some point during his service, someone stopped to say THANK YOU for the work he was doing. I may not always agree with the politics of what our military is sent off to DO, but I certainly appreciate the men and women serving our country and the hard work they have to do to keep us safe. This country would not be the independent nation it is today if it weren’t for our country’s military personnel and every once in a while, I bet they like to have someone say thank you. So, this 4th of July, take a moment to thank the military however you feel is appropriate but here are a few suggestions:
Ways to Thank the Military this 4th of July
- Think about doing something nice for the spouse of a deployed service member. It is hard to have your significant other deployed for long periods of time. Offer to babysit a child or bring them a meal to help reduce the workload while they are on their own.
- Own a local business? Offer a military discount! And make sure you publicize it…secret discounts do not help much!
- Get your church involved by having a military appreciation ‘date night’ where childcare is provided in the nursery and a potluck dinner is provided by the congregation.
- Send a care package: Some of the best items to put in military care packages are personal items like deodorant, baby wipes, soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc. Playing cards and dice are great forms of entertainment, snacks that ship well like prepackaged Rice Krispy Treats, sunflower seeds, beef jerky or even boxed macaroni and cheese or Ramen noodles. Magazines are also very popular and do not have to be brand new to be enjoyed!
- Write a letter and let them know what is going on here at home.
- Have a friend, neighbor, or acquaintance that is home on leave? A simple hand shake and word of thanks will let them know that you appreciate their service.
- Say a prayer. Pray for the safety of the one deployed and strength for the one left behind.
- Make a donation to a military charity. Check out Clark Howard’s Best and Worst Military Charities.
Outback Steakhouse Wants to Thank the Military!
If you are looking to thank the military this 4th of July, Outback Steakhouse is offering a great deal to the men and women who serve our country. They are currently offering a special Military Mates discount with 10% off the entire check for active and retired military at Outback when they come in for lunch or dinner. This deal is valid from now to July 4, 2013.
Content and/or other value provided by out partner, Outback Steakhouse.
Everyone always makes great plans for the 4th July…pool parties, fireworks, and grilling out are great ways to spend the day. But, take a moment next week to thank a military service member for their hard work and sacrifice. Without them, our country would not be the free nation it is today!
Outback Steakhouse would like to provide one of my readers with a $20 gift card. Outback Steakhouse has a great menu and family friendly atmosphere. This is a Giveaway Tools contest so follow the direction in the form to enter!
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post. I will receive an Outback Steakhouse gift card in exchange for sharing this information. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”