This meatless Monday recipe was made possible by a product I received from Crum Creek for review but all opinions expressed are my own.
If you haven’t jumped onto the meatless Monday bandwagon I really think you should! Reducing our meat consumption is a great way to reduce our carbon footprint but it is also fun coming up with creative meatless recipes once a week. I must admit, most of my meatless Monday recipes tend to revolve around cheese. While I have a few vegan recipes, dairy is one of those food categories I am way too dependent on. This meatless Monday recipe isn’t exactly low fat but it is delicious and manages to get spinach into my family when they don’t really care for it any other way.
For a bit of added protein, I used a soy based pasta from Crum Creek that I received to review. I thought the pasta tasted delicious and had a flavor and texture that was almost exactly like ‘traditional’ pastas. It contains both wheat and soy and only takes about 4 minutes to cook in a pot of boiling water. Crum Creek has a number of healthy food options that would be perfect for a meatless Monday or just healthier eating throughout the entire week.
Spinach and Artichoke Alfredo
- 1 pound Fettucini (I used a soy based Fettuccine from Crum Creek)
- 3 to 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 4 ounce jar of artichoke hearts, chopped into bit sized pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP water
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1½ cups Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
- Cook pasta according to package instructions and drain. Rinse thoroughly
- While pasta is cooking, start the Alfredo sauce. In a medium sauce pan over medium heat melt the butter. Stir in the heavy cream and heat until steaming. Add in the Parmesan cheese and black pepper. Stir until melted and remove from heat.
- In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in the minced garlic and saute 3 to 4 minutes. Add the 2 TBSP of water and the fresh spinach. Cover and cook just until spinach is wilted ( 3 to 4 minutes). Add the chopped artichoke hearts and remove from heat.
- In a large serving bowl, combine cooked pasta, sauteed vegetables and the Alfredo sauce. Toss until everything is well mixed and serve immediately.