These Healthy Labor Day Party Ideas were inspired by a product I received to review from Chef’sChoice®. All opinions expressed here are my own.
Summer is drawing to a close and while that makes me a bit sad I am also a little happy that my kids are no longer spending their days bickering with each other. As a last hoorah to end the summer, our neighborhood always throws a huge Labor Day pool party complete with BBQ and an assortment of side dishes supplied by the neighbors. I love indulging in my friend’s tasty casseroles and some decadent desserts. However, they aren’t usually on my list of healthy foods to include in my diet. But, it is nice to splurge every one in a while, right? I like to look for a balance between the healthier food choices like fruit salad and the not quite as healthy chips and dip options. If you are looking for healthy Labor Day party ideas for your own back yard BBQ this Labor Day, here are a few things to keep in mind while you are organizing your menu.
Healthy Labor Day Party Tips
1. Slim down your dips: If you replace half of the mayonnaise or sour cream in your dip recipe with Greek yogurt you will reduce the fat and calories in it significantly.
2. Go easy on the carbs: Carbohydrates can leave you feeling sluggish and the calories are quickly converted to fat. For a healthy Labor Day party, skip the pasta salad and head for the shrimp cocktail or fruit salad.
3. Skip the soda and beer: Soft drinks and alcohol have a lot of calories. Instead, opt for water that has some sliced fruit in it or some homemade iced tea with only a touch of sugar added.
4. Put out plenty of veggies: Instead of bacon and cheese on your burgers, choose lettuce, onion, and tomato. They will add a ton of crunch without a lot of fat or calories. Put out plenty of sliced veggies for dipping and consider using sliced cucumbers instead of crackers in your appetizers. Slice all your veggies the day before to save time. I received the Chef’s Choice 615 Premium Electric Food Slicer for review and am seriously impressed with how quickly and can zip through slicing vegetables!
5. Avoid processed foods: Processed foods are usually high in salt, preservatives and artificial flavors. Start with simple ingredients and you are automatically making healthier food choices. Sandwich meats are a popular Labor Day party food but they are highly processed and contain a number of questionable ingredients. I sliced my own chicken breast for a spicy chicken sandwich I made recently and it is amazing how much better it tastes than the deli version. The Chef’s Choice electric food slicer I received was able to slice the chicken breast incredibly thin and I will certainly be using it as often as possible to make healthier sandwiches for my family!
The Chef’s Choice 615 Premium Electric Food Slicer made slicing up my sandwich ingredients and vegetables incredibly easy over the last few weeks. It is very user friendly and can handle a number of different thicknesses when slicing food. I used a medium setting to slice a loaf of fresh Italian bread and it was so nice to have fresh bread that wasn’t squished and out of shape from my attempts at cutting it with a knife. Every slice was perfect! I used it to slice the whole chicken breast and there is a handy little ‘food grabber’ (for lack of a better term!) that holds onto the food and helps push it towards the blade. A much safer way to slice foods so you don’t also slice off your fingers! It even handled a ball of fresh mozzarella cheese without turning it into mush! Do you have any idea how hard it is to cut fresh mozzarella that thinly with a knife? Pretty much impossible!
The Chef’s Choice food slice has a 7″ stainless steel blade that allows users to slice food anywhere from deli-thin to approximately ¾-inch thick. It has both intermittent and continuous on/off switch and a safety button secures the food carriage in the “lock” position to limit access to blade when not in use. It was easy to clean up when my cooking was done and was very quiet when running. I would definitely recommend this electric food slicer if you are interested in making healthier choices in the kitchen.
Do you have any healthy Labor Day party tips you would like to share?
Disclaimer: In accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials.”: I received product samples in exchange for my honest review. I received no monetary compensation. All opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone. Some of the links in this post may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.