I received free product samples for use in this almond joy coffee creamer recipe but all opinions expressed here are my own.
Once upon a time, I didn’t like coffee. Shocking, huh? You can blame my husband for my current java addiction. He got tired of drinking his morning coffee alone and encouraged me to start drinking it with him. Of course, I love adding plenty of cream and sugar to mine and have a serious weakness for flavored coffee creamers. I could go to Starbucks for my caffeine fix but that would have me broke in no time. I decided to start researching homemade coffee creamer recipes and realized that I could easily make my own coffee creamer with very little time or money required. Depending on your personal preference, you can change up the sweetener and flavor of this recipe to suit your own tastes.
The sweetener you choose for your homemade coffee creamer recipe can be anything from maple syrup or honey to plain old sugar or brown sugar. I received a selection of natural and organic sugars from Wholesome Sweeteners to try out and their organic coconut palm sugar sounded just right for this almond joy coffee creamer recipe. It is a nice golden brown and has almost a caramel type of aroma to it.
I used organic whole milk and organic heavy cream for this coffee creamer recipe but it would work just fine with non organic as well. I only had sweetened coconut on hand but you could use unsweetened as well. Toasting the coconut ahead of time would also give it a boost of flavor. Adding this homemade coffee creamer recipe to your morning coffee with make it almost like a coffee house experience without the shock of a $5 price tag!
NOTE: You will have little bits of coconut in this coffee creamer recipe. If you prefer no bits and pieces, run it through a mesh strainer before storing in mason jar.
Almond Joy Coffee Creamer Recipe
- 1 cup organic heavy cream
- 1 cup organic whole milk
- 6 TBSP Wholesome Sweeteners coconut palm sugar
- 1½ tsp almond extract
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- 3 TBSP cocoa powder
- Place milk, cream and coconut in a blender
- Blend on high 20 to 30 seconds
- Pour into medium pot set over medium low heat. Add coconut palm sugar and cocoa powder
- Heat for 10 to 15 minutes, whisking occasionally until cocoa powder is well blended and sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add the almond extract. Stir and let cool
- Store in mason jar or other covered jar for up to 2 weeks.
- Use approximately ¼ cup (or to taste) in a large cup of coffee