This homemade pound cake recipe has been sponsored by Wholesome Sweeteners but all opinions expressed here are my own.
When I think back on my childhood, one of my favorite ‘classic’ summer desserts was fresh fruit served over pound cake and topped with whipped cream. Of course, my mom bought a pound cake from the store and our whipped cream came in a tub but it was still pretty darned tasty. With my quest to make things a bit more naturally than mom did, I decided to try making a homemade pound cake, which I have never actually attempted before!
Like many delicious desserts, a good pound cake recipe starts with sugar, eggs and butter. You can reduce your carbon footprint and eat more naturally by choosing organic butter, farm fresh eggs and Wholesome Sweeteners unrefined sweeteners. Wholesome sweeteners has an amazing selection of natural sweeteners from honey and agave nectar to brown sugar and powdered sugar. For my homemade pound cake recipe I used Turbinado raw cane sugar, which had a wonderfully sweet and almost fruity aroma.
You can top your pound cake with whatever local and seasonal fruits you happen to have on hand. I chose fresh Georgia peaches, peeled and sliced with a touch more turbinado sugar to make a little bit of juice. Just leave the fruit at room temperature for a few hours with a sprinkling of sugar stirred in and by the time you want to make dessert, you will have plenty of juice to dribble over your pound cake. Of course, top your creation with freshly made whipped cream! Everything tastes better with a little whipped cream on top!
Easy Homemade Pound Cake Recipe
- 3 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 2½ cups Wholesome Sweeteners Turbinado sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or large glass bowl combine butter and sugar. Beat 1 minute on medium speed.
- Gradually add in one egg at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and almond extract. Beat mixture 2 to 3 minutes more until light and fluffy.
- Reduce speed to medium and mix in milk alternating with flour mixture just until combined.
- Pour mixture into 2 greased loaf pans (8½ by 4 inches) and bake approximately 1 hour at 350 degrees or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Let cool 10 minutes on wire rack and remove from pan.
- Let cool 2 hours before slicing and serving
Wholesome Sweeteners would like to offer one of my readers the chance to win a prize package of some of their natural sweeteners! This giveaway is a little bit different from my usual contests….instead of a Giveaway Tools contest just head over to the entry form on the Wholesome Sweeteners website and fill in your info. The winner will be chosen on June 9th and notified via email soon after.
ENTER HERE to win Wholesome Sweeteners Prize Package!
For more contests and product information, please follow Wholesome Sweeteners on Facebook and Twitter!