In the last couple of years, my husband has started running marathons and the training can be rather brutal at times. While I don’t mind the occasional jog of a mile or two, he regularly runs 10 or 15 miles (or even more) and actually enjoys it. Yes, I think he is a little crazy, too, but he is certainly staying healthy! When he runs, he sweats. And I don’t mean he sweats just a LITTLE bit. I mean it looks like he jumped in a pool by the time he has finished his run. Because of this, he really has trouble trying to stay hydrated during his workout. While Gatorade and Powerade might make great electrolyte replacements, I am not a huge fan of all the other artificial stuff they put in there so we started researching natural electrolyte replacements. One of the health benefits of coconut water is that it does a great job of replacing lost electrolytes without adding artificial colors or flavors into your diet. While I had heard about the high electrolyte content of coconut water, I was not aware of any other health benefits of coconut water but my research into the subject was really rather eye opening!
Health Benefits of Coconut Water
So, what are the other health benefits of coconut water? Here are a few of the interesting things I learned recently. You can check out the reference section below for my sources and further information.
1. Coconut water contains cytokinins which may have anti aging and anti carcinogenic (anti cancer) effects
2. Coconut water is low in sodium and works great to re hydrate the body after diarrheal illness.
3. Coconut water contains bioactive enzymes that may help aid digestion and improve metabolism
4. It is a great source of B vitamins and potasium
5. 100 millilters of Coconut Water has approximately: 294mg of potassium compared to 117mg in an average energy drink, 25mg of sodium compared to 200mg in energy drinks and 41mg in most sport drinks, 5mg sugar compared to 20-25mg, and 118mg of chloride compare to 39mg in average energy and sport drinks. Basically, it is higher in nutrients that your body NEEDS than traditional sports drinks on the market today.
6. Coconut water shows promise in balancing blood pressure and improving your ‘good’ cholesterol
7. Because it may help improve metabolism, coconut water shows signs of helping people lose weight when part of a sensible diet and exercise program.
8. Coconut water seems to have natural antibacterial and antifungal properties
9. Natural coconut water is much lower in calories than conventional sports drinks and contains nothing artificial
10. Coconut water may help regulate blood sugar
Coconut Water for Hydration
Now, research is still ongoing on the health benefits of coconut water but personally, I prefer to re hydrate with something that nature created instead of artificial sports drinks. The one thing that I notice when buying coconut water, though, is the PRICE! Ranging anywhere from $2 to $3 a container, this stuff is not cheap. I was recently sent some organic coconut water POWDER from Navitas Naturals and this is definitely a cheaper way to go than buying it ready made. The Navitas Naturals coconut water powder provides on the go nutrition that is convenient and easy to use. It provides 5 electrolytes to support hydration: sodium, magnesium, calcium, potassium and phosphorus. Each 35-calorie serving contains more potassium than a banana, and it provides many other essential minerals and vitamins such as iron and manganese.
Navitas Naturals Coconut Water Powder lets you to create a drink based on your own taste preferences and hydration needs. Just stir 1 Tbsp of the powder into a glass of water to make a hydrating sports drink, or add water to the powder and use the liquid as you would coconut water in a smoothie, or any other recipe. It is made from the juices found inside fresh organic coconuts. The electrolyte-rich liquid inside the coconut has been removed and freeze-dried to preserve the flavor and nutrients in the powder. It is certified organic, vegan, gluten-free and kosher.
So, what did I think of the coconut water powder that I was sent? I was actually surprised that the powder itself has no aroma and very little flavor. I added a tablespoon into my water as directed and the powder dissolves pretty well. There is a tad bit of undissolved material on the bottom of the glass but very little. The coconut water had a light and refreshing flavor with a hint of nuttiness to it but not actually coconut flavored at all. Now, my husband (the sweating machine) finds that for his marathon training, coconut water by itself isn’t quite enough to keep him hydrated but the good thing about this powder is that you can actually make it more concentrated than regular already prepared coconut water in the store. If you find it challenging to meet your hydration needs, you might want to check out this powder and see if a more concentrated coconut water works better for you.
If you would like to learn more about Navitas Naturals organic coconut water or any of their other natural snacks and supplements, you can head over and like them on Facebook for more information!
Disclaimer: In accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials.”: I received product samples in exchange for my honest review. I received no monetary compensation. All opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone. Some of the links in this post may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.