While I enjoy watching the Superbowl with my husband, Super Bowl appetizers are a huge diet killer for me. I am a huge fan of anything dipped, fried, battered and crunchy and usually that means totally unhealthy, right? Well, it IS possible to have Super Bowl appetizers that are all of those things AND not too horribly unhealthy! I was recently sent some Del Monte Southwestern Style Tomatoes with the challenge of finding a recipe for them that would be perfect for Super Bowl snacking. If you are looking for Super Bowl appetizers that are full of flavor, these baked mozzarella sticks with southwestern style marinara sauce are a great choice.
Usually, marina sauce has an Italian ‘flavor’ with oregano, basil and other Italian seasonings. Well, by using an assortment of hot peppers, you totally change the flavor profile. Del Monte Southwestern-Style Petite Cut® Diced Tomatoes come in either a green chili or chipotle variety. They are the perfect way to spice up main dishes, snacking recipes, and Superbowl appetizers. Del Monte canned tomatoes, fruits and vegetables contain the same essential nutrients as fresh varieties and are picked at the peak of ripeness and canned on the same day, to ensure nutrients and flavor are locked in. The southwestern style marinara sauce I made was delicious, low in fat and high in flavor. Combined with a baked low fat mozzarella sticks I was feeling slightly less guilty about my snacking! If you are looking for tasty and slightly healthier Super Bowl appetizers, this is a good choice!
NOTE: This recipe will make tons of Southwestern Style Marinara Sauce. You can also use it on top of Chicken Parmesan, as a dip for tortilla chips or just freeze it back for use at another time.
Super Bowl Appetizers with Del Monte
Baked Mozzarella Sticks with Southwestern Marinara Sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) package reduced-fat mozzarella string cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- No Stick spray like PAM or something similar
- 1 can Del Monte Southwestern Style Petite Diced tomatoes with Green Chilies
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Chipolte Peppers in Adobo Sauce, finely chopped (plus 1 to 2 TBSP Adobe sauce)
- For the Mozzarella Sticks: Place flour on one plate, on another plate put Panko bread crumbs, garlic salt and cayenne and mix gently. In a bowl, whisk the egg briskly until lightly foamy.
- Dip each mozzarella stick first in flour, then in egg, then in breadcrumb mixture. Place on a cookie sheet that is lightly sprayed with PAM. Spray tops of cheese sticks lightly with more PAM.
- Bake the cheese sticks in a 350 degree oven in the top ½ of the oven for 3 minutes, turn them gently and spray with more PAM. Cook another 3 minutes. Keep an eye on them and make sure you do not let them actually start to melt. If they do, remove them from the oven and gently reshape.
- For the sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Add tomato sauce and Del Monte Southwestern Style tomatoes with Green Chilies. Add chipotle peppers and Adobo sauce. Simmer gently 10 to 15 minutes to blend flavors.
- To serve, put Southwestern Style Marina Sauce in a bowl and serve with a platter of the low fat baked mozzarella sticks.
If you love to find creative ways to spice up your diet, Del Monte is having a contest you might enjoy entering!
- Follow the Del Monte Brand on Pinterest
- Create a Pinterest board named “Del Monte Southwestern Tomato Kick-Off”
- Pin at least two (2) Del Monte Tomato Recipes from the “Del Monte Southwestern Tomato Kick-Off” Pinterest board and at least two (2) football entertaining ideas
- Register your Pinterest board to the Del Monte page from January 21st through February 15th to be entered into the Del Monte® Southwestern Tomato Kick-Off Sweepstakes program
- Get ready for a chance to win one of the many prizes available, including an ultimate entertainment package with a Sony® 55” LED TV, Bose® home theater system and Sony® Blu-ray player (ARV $4,779.00 USD).
See Official Rules for Details!
Del Monte wants to give ONE of my readers a prize pack that includes a can of each of their new Southwestern Style tomatoes and a $25 Visa Gift Card. This is a Giveaway Tools contest so follow the directions in the form below to enter. This giveaway ends at midnight EST on February 15th, 2013.
Disclaimer: In accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials.”: I received product samples in exchange for my honest review. The Del Monte products, information and two gift packs have been provided by Del Monte. All opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone. Some of the links in this post may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.
By entering this giveaway, you release this blog and it’s owner from any liability whatsoever, and waive any and all causes of action, related to any claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the giveaway or delivery, mis-delivery or acceptance of any prize.