Kids love chicken nuggets but they aren’t always healthy for them. Here is a baked chicken nuggets recipe you can feel good about serving. Served with a low fat honey mustard dip, this is one chicken recipe they will happily come to the table for!
Why make homemade chicken nuggets?
My kids love chicken nuggets just like everyone else’s but since I don’t like to do too much fast food and refuse to buy the premade, frozen variety they rarely get to eat them.
Every once in a while I treat them to homemade chicken nuggets but I have always pan fried them with a little bit of olive oil. Here is a much easier method of baking them, which allows me to do a lot more in a much shorter amount of time.
I made a homemade honey mustard dip (see below) using yogurt to keep it low fat. I also included a BBQ sauce dip as well. (check out Health.gov if you want to see why Americans need to be eating fewer processed foods)
How to make chicken nuggets at home
Here is a kid approved, low fat baked chicken nuggets recipe! These healthier nuggets are coated in a delicious well seasoned coating. As a result, they are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside! Here are a few tips for making your own low fat nuggets at home:
- The original recipe called for a lot more butter. I cut it in half and the results were fine but if you prefer more, go ahead and add more.
- The original recipe also had me dipping each nugget individually in butter and breadcrumbs and I am WAY too lazy for that. I poured the butter over the whole bowl of chicken cubes and dumped the entire thing into the breadcrumbs. Worked fine and WAY easier than doing them individually but do each their own!
Homemade Healthier Chicken Nuggets Recipe
- Ingredients for the chicken
- 1 cup dry seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried herbs of your choice
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Low Fat Honey Mustard Dip Ingredients
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 - 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Directions for chicken
- In a large shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and seasonings. Mix well.
- Place chicken cubes in a separate large bowl and drizzle with melted butter. Mix well.
- Place the butter coated chicken cubes in the pan with the bread crumb mixture and stir to coat. You may have to use your hands to get everything equally mixed up.
- Put cubes of chicken on a non stick cookie sheet.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until juices run clear. Flip nuggets over half way through cooking to ensure even browning.
- To make dip: Whisk together the yogurt, honey, and mustard in a small bowl. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 656Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 163mgSodium: 1279mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 3gSugar: 22gProtein: 53g
Nutrition information not always accurate
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.