This guide to getting in shape is made possible by a product for review. All opinions expressed here are my own.
I am a 40 plus woman with 2 children and I am always searching for easy ways to get in shape. So, like most people who want to learn about a topic I head to my old friend Google to help me learn about it. What do I find if I Google the term ‘getting in shape”? I find pictures of buff looking women doing pushups on the beach and links to sports supplements to help me run marathons. Okay, Google, lets be realistic here a minute, shall we? I am middle aged and have a lot of things that hurt if I so much bend over to pick up the newspaper wrong. I have two children who beg for ice cream on a regular basis and I have NO willpower. My money is spent on piano lessons, not gym memberships and sports supplements. So, how is this relatively lazy, middle aged woman supposed to get in shape for summer so that she can be seen at the pool in a bathing suit without feeling self conscious? I am still working on getting in shape but thought I would share a few tips that I came across to help you along this path as well.
Getting In Shape? Try These Lazy Mom Tips!
1. Put down the soda, vitamin water, and coffee and start drinking more water. Yes, this is not easy. It is also not always tasty. But, getting in shape means that you need to find ways to flush your system and trick it into thinking it is full. Drinking lots of water is one easy way to do this. Put a giant pitcher on the counter or in the fridge and vow to finish it by the end of the day. Add slices of fresh fruit to it or a spritz of fresh lemon or lime juice.
2. Try herbal teas: So, I am not a doctor, dietitian, or anyone you should actually listen to when it comes to medical advice. Let’s just get that straight before I continue! I do, however, really believe in the benefits of many herbs when it comes to health issues. My cabinet is full of herbal teas to help solve just about every ailment you can think about. I have detox teas, water flushing teas, and even an appetite suppressing tea. Once a day I have a mug…usually with breakfast. Great way to increase fluid intake without extra calories and support your digestive system at the same time. If you are not currently an herbal tea drinker, just an FYI for you: They don’t all taste that great. In fact, some of them taste like water that has been added to sticks and dirt. Add a little Stevia and lemon juice if you have to for a no calorie sweetness and flavor.
3. Get moving: That seems so simple right? The most important part of getting in shape is to burn calories. The only way to burn calories is to get your behind in gear and get moving. I do not have the time nor the money for gym memberships. I am not investing in a personal trainer or buying thousands of dollars worth of exercise equipment. I have been trying to do something very simple: walk more! Instead of sitting in my chair to check email or talk to my mom on the phone I head out and take a walk in the neighborhood while I work or chat. If you are dropping your child off at soccer practice and sitting in the bleachers how about you go with your walking shoes on and take a few laps around the field while you wait. If you DO want to get a bunch of exercise equipment, check out Craiglist or ask your friends. People are always happy to get rid of them since a lot of times they just end up as clothes hangers and storage spaces.
4. Increase your fiber intake: This goes back to the whole concept of tricking your body into thinking it is full. Fiber takes up a lot of space and takes a while to digest. Getting in shape isn’t easy if you are constantly hungry! Apples, nuts, seeds, beans, brown rice, fresh veggies, chia seeds….whatever has a decent amount of fiber in it works to help fill you up. Eating an apple and drinking a glass of water 30 minutes before your meal will fill you up so you don’t eat too much at your meal.
5. Leave yourself notes: Okay, this might sound weird but I am all about lists and sticky notes. Always head to the fridge at 3 PM for a snack? Stick a post it note on the fridge with a big NOOOOO written on it. Or tape a picture of a horribly obese person there, or leave yourself an inspirational message. Whatever works to help you walk away from the fridge and stick to your diet plan.
6. Learn what a portion size really is: I do not count calories, weigh and measure, or in any way try to quantify the food I am eating. I am far too lazy for that. Getting in shape means you have to reduce your calorie intake…there is no magic bullet when it comes to shedding pounds. Eat less, exercise more. But, if you think that a serving of potatoes is a heaping mound on your plate next to the 12 ounce steak you are sorely mistaken. Check out some nutrition sites to learn what a serving size is for your age/weight/height/etc. Eat more veggies that starches, lean meat instead of processed meat food, skip the sauces and just try to make smarter food choices.
7. Snack Healthier: I am a snacker and that is not going to change just because I have to lose a few pounds. I get cranky when I am hungry! I am trying to make smarter snacking choices that allow me to still satisfy my need to much but also provide some sort of nutrition and health benefits at the same time. As much as I love Cheetos, they really are not a healthy snack choice so I have been trying to limit those to special occasions. Everyday snacking has become things like apples with almond butter, cheese sticks, veggies with low fat dip, or snack chips made from whole grains. I recently received a package of Way Better Snacks to try out and not only did *I* enjoy them, they were a huge hit with the rest of the family as well.
Way Better Snacks are not made from regular grains…they are made from sprouted seeds! The grains, seeds and beans are germinated (sprouted) and carefully dried before processing them into their delicious snacks. They use only the highest quality organic seeds, grains and beans in their products and germination does not at all effect the way these grains and seed taste. Sprouting them before processing just makes them more nutritious. They even include things like sprouted broccoli and radish seeds in their snacks! All of the ingredients are all-natural, non-GMO (not genetically modified) and the highest quality ingredients available. The Way Better Snacks are also Kosher, vegan, gluten free and contain no trans fats.
I received a nice variety of Way Better Snacks to try out including Simply Sunny Multi-Grain, Simply Sweeet Potato, Simply Beyond Black Bean, Simply So Sweet Chili, Simply Unbeatable Blues and No Salt Naked Blues. They include a variety of sprouted ingredients including flaxseed, chia seeds, quinoa, black beans, broccoli seeds and daikon radish seeds. I served them to my kids and husband and munched on several varieties myself. I can honestly say that we did not try a single variety that we did not like. My son like the bold flavor of the Simply So Sweet Chili while my husband liked the plainer Simply Sunny Multi-Grain. Probably because he covered them with melted cheese and dipped in salsa. He DOES run marathons and has no reason to skimp on cheese. I loved the Simply Sunny Multi-Grain eaten plain and think it had a nice, almost nutty flavor to it. I must admit, no salt chips aren’t my favorite but the No salt Naked Blues were still tasty. Just didn’t quite appease my salt craving. Overall, a very tasty selection of healthy snacks that will make getting in shape without starving a tad bit easier!
Enter to Win a Case of Way Better Snacks!
Way Better Snacks would like to give 2 of my readers a case of their sprouted chips to try. This is a Giveaway Tools contest so just follow the directions in the form to enter!
Disclaimer: In accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials.”: I received product samples in exchange for my honest review. I received no monetary compensation. All opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone. Some of the links in this post may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.
By entering this giveaway, you release this blog and it’s owner from any liability whatsoever, and waive any and all causes of action, related to any claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the giveaway or delivery, mis-delivery or acceptance of any prize.