Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The hubby and I have been a little stressed out about money the last week or so. I guess we are probably not alone in that concern but with the possibility of a government shutdown heading our way, we are worried. Americans waste money on a lot of things and that includes us as well. We definitely need to rethink our spending in some areas.
As a government employee, if the feds don’t come up with a budget by next Friday he will be furloughed until they do…hence NO PAYCHECK! So, I decided to include this list I came across about the TOP 10 things Americans waste money on as an inspiration to myself to tighten the purse strings. (these are items that are considered unnecessary, not vital goods/services)
Where is YOUR money going lately? Do you even know? If food is one of them, check out my post on healthy eating on a low budget for tips on getting your grocery bill down.
10 Things Americans Waste Money On
Since wasting money on unnecessary purchases ruins even the strictest budget, rethinking your spending in tough times is important. Here are a few things Americans waste money on that can be cut out to save money.
- Apparel Products and Services (clothing rentals and storage, dry cleaning, jewelry, and watch repair)
- Entertainment Equipment and Services, Nonessential (bicycles, trailers, camping equipment)
- Alcohol (okay, some days I think this is definitely REQUIRED!)
- Fees and Admissions (sporting events, films, and concerts)
- Lodging, Vacation Homes and Hotels
- Pets, Toys, Hobbies, and Playground Equipment (hey, the dog needs toys, right?)
- Television, Radio, and Sound Equipment (okay, this one would be hard for me to give up!)
- Gifts (I am bad at Christmas!)
- Food Away From Home (I try and limit eating out to once a week or every 2 weeks, it’s hard!)
More Money-Saving Tips
Want more ways to save money this year? You can still go green and get healthy without going broke! Here are a few budget-friendly tips to try:
- Save Money on Gasoline: Here are a few ways to save money on gas during your next long car ride.
- Reduce Heating Bills: Try these tips to lower your heating bills this winter.
- Use Less Water: Conserve water in the kitchen and save money while you go green.
It is not always cheap to lead an eco-friendly life….organic food is expensive! Cutting costs in other areas is a necessity (at least in most households). Cooking from scratch and using coupons are great ways to save!
Good luck and pray for a new federal budget so I can go pick up my organic, free-range beef at the farm without too much guilt! If you want to save money, get yourself some budget software to help you figure out where your money is going. Which of these 10 things Americans waste money on do YOU purchase regularly?
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.
2 thoughts on “10 Things Americans Waste Money On”
Stopping by to say hi and to follow.
You can visit me here- http://poshonabudget.com/2011/02/tgif.html
Following from Friendly Friday. Please come follow me at http://preciouscupcakes.blogspot.com 🙂
I have a $25 Joann’s gift card giveaway going on right now.