Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This cereal-crusted french toast recipe is a delicious twist on classic French toast. Crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside, top with a compote of dried fruit for a delicious breakfast, brunch, or breakfast for dinner recipe.
One of my family’s favorite dinners is actually breakfast! We do eggs quite a bit for dinner, sometimes as an omelet and others as french toast or quiche. Eggs are an incredibly versatile food and offer plenty of protein as well.
Sometimes eggs get a bad rap for being high in cholesterol but as long as you are healthy and eat a balanced diet a few eggs every week are not going to hurt you. In fact, skipping the steak and choosing eggs as your protein source is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint.
We get most of our eggs from local farmers and friends with chickens but occasionally resort to store-bought organic when we have to. This French Toast recipe is sweet, crunchy, and nutritious. You can serve it for breakfast or dinner, depending on your own preferences. If you love a good French Toast recipe as much as I do, check out this Baked French Toast with Apples and Cherries over on Suburbia Unwrapped!
Cereal Crusted French Toast Recipe with Dried Fruit Compote
- For the Fruit Compote:
- 8 ounces chopped dried fruit of your choice
- 1 cup orange uice
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- For the French Toast
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 thick slices of bread
- approximately 2 cups of lightly crushed cereal like corn flakes, Honey Bunches of Oats, Rice Krispies, etc)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla. Pour into a pie plate.
- First, make the fruit compote:
- Combine juice, dried fruit, brown sugar and nutmeg in a medium saucepan.
- Place the pan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 8-10 minutes or until fruit is plump and syrup has formed.
- Pour into small bowl and refrigerate until needed.
- Next, make the French Toast:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Pour into a shallow bowl.
- Place crushed cereal onto a plate
- Preheat frying pan over medium-high heat. Lightly grease with butter
- Soak each slice of bread in the egg mixture, turning once to coat thoroughly. Transfer the bread to the cereal plate and press down gently to coat both sides of the bread with the crushed cereal
- Cook the french toast on the preheated frying pan until it is cooked through. You want it to be golden brown on both sides with no liquid coming from inside when pressed gently with a spatula
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.