This mint simple syrup recipe contains affiliate links.
Mint is one of the easiest plants to grow in the garden but you have to be careful to keep it well tended. Mint is fairly invasive and will quickly spread outside of it’s designated growing spot. Some people plant mint in submerged pots to keep it contained or build a plastic ‘wall’ underground out of plastic edging to contain the growth. Once your mint becomes well established you will soon find yourself wondering what in the world you are going to do with all that mint!
This mint simple syrup can be used for a number of different things. It is a great way to sweeten homemade iced tea and is a key ingredient in the Mint Julep, which is the traditional beverage of Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby. We are loyal Kentucky Derby watchers and love to watch the horses run while sipping a tasty mint julep! Not into mint juleps? You can also use this minted simple syrup in your morning coffee or drizzle it over a warm chocolate cake for a minty sweet flavor.
To make this mint simple syrup just grab a few clumps of mint from the garden and rinse well. Pluck the leaves off the woody stem and chop coarsely. You will need about 1 1/2 cups of slightly packed mint. Other than that, your mint simple syrup contains just sugar and water. Put everything into a pot on the stove and less than 10 minutes later you have mint simple syrup. Let cool before storing in a tightly sealed glass container for 2 weeks or so.
Yields 1 1/2 cups
Easy mint simple syrup to sweeten just about everything!
5 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
10 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups lightly packed mint leaves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Place all ingredients in a medium sauce pan
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar
- Reduce heat to a simmer
- Simmer without stirring for 2 to 3 minutes
- Remove from heat
- Let cool slightly and strain into glass container. Press solids lightly to release flavor.
- Let cool completely and cover with lid
- Store in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks
- Use to sweeten tea, coffee, cocktails or whatever you please!