Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Make homemade cornbread in a cast iron skillet! This skillet cornbread recipe starts with cornmeal and buttermilk for a truly southern experience! Add in cheddar cheese and fresh jalapenos and you have the best cornbread ever!
I grew up in Connecticut and we Northerners are not known for our cornbread. When I moved to Texas I firmly believed that all cornbread came from a little blue Jiffy box! My southern friends were horrified! I have played around with homemade cornbread over the years but this is the first recipe
I have found that was both easy and tasty. Here are a couple of things to note about this recipe:
My farmer friend swears that the only way to get a crispy bottom on a loaf of cornbread is to use lard in the pan. He gave me a jar of lard for Christmas (I love this guy!) and I used it in this recipe. While I have not tried a comparison with butter I can say that the bottom of the bread did have a light crispiness to it that was a nice contrast to the tender bread.
✯Don’t want to miss the next post?✯
Or join the private Facebook group for simple tips on going green!
You can used diced jalapenos if you have them but since they aren’t in season here I used dehydrated jalapeno powder from last summer’s harvest. 2 tsp gave the batter a little bit of a bite although I didn’t taste much heat in the final product. You may have better luck with fresh.
Easy Skillet Cornbread Recipe with Cheddar Cheese
- 1 1/4 cups coarsely ground cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 to 2 tsp diced jalapenos or dried jalapeno powder
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 TBSP lard for the cast iron pan or an additional 2 TBSP of butter
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and place a 9-inch cast iron skillet inside to heat while you make the batter.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
3. Whisk in the milk, buttermilk, eggs and melted butter
4. Gently fold in cheddar cheese and jalapenos
5. Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Coat the bottom and sides of the hot skillet with the 2 TBSP of lard or butter. Pour the batter into the skillet and place it in the center of the oven.
6. Bake until the center is firm and a knife or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 669mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 9g
Nutrition information not always accurate
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.