Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Did you know that December and January are two of the worst months to sell your house? Of course, if you are a home BUYER, that is when you will get the best deal but for those people trying to sell their homes right now, they will have to put in a little bit extra work! I remember when we moved to this house a few years ago…we were given some very useful tips from our real estate agent and even though it took 6 months to sell, we did get into our new house in time for the new school year. Want to sell your house faster? If you are one of the millions of people trying to sell your home right now, here are a few tips to help you make your house shine in an otherwise dull market!
Sell your house faster with these simple ideas!
1. Look at your house like a buyer! Stop and think about the things that YOU are looking for in a home. A fresh coat of paint on the walls and newly cleaned carpets make buyers think your house is newer than it really is.
2. Tackle that Honey-Do list! All those little odd jobs you put on your list of things to do eventually need to get done. Repair that patch of siding that has gotten water logged, fix the squeaky medicine cabinet door and make sure your doors and windows are in tip top shape.
3. Declutter! This is probably one of the most important tips we were given! Remove personal framed photos from the wall, get rid of that extra chair in the living room, ditch those boxes you are storing in your closet. The best thing we ever did was to rent a small self-storage unit to hold all our unnecessary furniture and brick-a-brack until we sold our house! Do some research before you rent one so you know what size you might need and whether you want it climate controlled or not. Many companies also offer things like boxes, truck rental, and even vehicle storage. Uncle Bob’s Self Storage even has an app you can download to your smart phone so you can manage your account on the go from anywhere!
4. Don’t neglect the curb appeal! Stand outside at the front of the house to see what your buyers do the minute they drive up! Get rid of the toys in the front yard, repair the cracks in the driveway, trim the shrubs and plant some flowers to add a splash of color. You want your house to really catch their eye from the minute they see it!
5. Bake some cookie:! Maybe this sounds a bit crazy to you but a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies newly baked in the oven will give your house a comforting smell that makes buyers right at home. You will also make sure that those lingering dinner odors or the smell of your cat is not what the buyers first notice when they walk in the door. Honestly, you will sell your house faster if it smells like home to a new buyer.
6. Clean out your closets: Storage space is a HUGE draw for many buyers so you want people to think your closets and basement are gigantic! Take everything you absolutely don’t need right now and put it into that storage unit you are going to rent! Then, add in some closet organizers to really wow your potential new owner!
Just because December is a slow seller’s market, doesn’t mean you are going to be stuck in your house until spring…you just need to take a step back and evaluate your house so that you make it really stand out against the rest of the homes on the market. And don’t forget to keep a basket tucked into the corner of every room for that last minute cleanup when the potential buyers are sitting in your driveway and didn’t bother to call ahead. You can sell your house faster if you put just a little bit of work and planning into it!
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.