Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The holidays are fast approaching and with them comes the hustle and bustle of shopping, baking, family time…more family time…sometimes throw in a little bit of the flu and your holidays have gone from cheerful to humbug in just a few days! In my house, it takes a lot of planning and organization to pull off a happy holiday season! I thought I would share a few tips and tricks to help ensure your spirit keeps shining brightly all the way into the new year!
1. You are not perfect! Please remember that while Martha Stewart may be one awesome decorator, you do NOT have to live up to her standards…or your mother’s, mother in law’s, or neighbors! You do not have to carve ice sculptures in the shape of angels or grow your own potatoes to enjoy the holiday with your family!
2. Decide where your passions lie. Are you into the food? The decorating? Organizing the office Christmas party? Since you really CAN’T do it all, prioritize and decide what is right for your family.
3. Get the kids involved. The holidays are all about making memories and if you want your kids to remember these years, get them involved in baking and decorating. I like to open up my giant plastic tub of decorations and put it on the floor for them to pick through. They get to decide where the stuffed Santa gets to sit and which door knocker goes on their own bedroom door. Sure, your cookies might look a little lopsided and you may not have perfectly matching candles on your dining room table but it gives them a great sense of accomplishment to know they helped!
4. Take time to spread the cheer. Whether you are going to go carolling with your church’s youth group, bake cookies for the old folks home, volunteer at a food pantry, or buy a gift for the giving tree at your child’s school, take time to remember those who are less fortunate this season. And this is something that children absolutely should help you do! Lead by example…to teach them to care for others, they should see their parents caring for others as well!
5. Keep the ‘I want’s’ down to a minimum. My children have a tendency to open up the big holiday toy catalog and go hog wild with requests but I tell them to narrow it down to the things they REALLY want. If they expect you to hunt down 25 gifts, that puts a lot of pressure on YOU and your wallet! Find toys that will keep them engaged and busy on Christmas day so that maybe you will have time for a nap!
What is on YOUR child’s wish list this holiday season? As part of the SocialMoms network, I would like to let you know about a creative new toy idea called the KRE-O Transformers. My son loved transformers when he was a kid and we still have quite of few of them that he can’t stand to part with.
What is it about this set that makes it a great holiday choice for under your tree?
There’s a KRE-O set for everyone and every budget. There are twelve KRE-O Transformers sets available, from Basic sets for beginner builders to deluxe sets for the pros.
The KRE-O Transformers sets are fun for kids of all ages. The recent Transformers movie success ensures that even grownups will have a blast remembering them from their childhood!
KRE-O bricks are compatible with other leading brick based sets on the market so families don’t have to invest in a new brick system or worry about mixing up bricks and blocks!
No matter how you plan on spreading holiday cheer this season, remember that this time of year is special. It is a special time to make memories with your family, to help the less fortunate, to bake treats you would normally cross off your menu because they are too decadent. Indulge in a little bit of memory making with your kids and take time to play with them…you may find that you have just as much fun with their toys on Christmas morning as they do!
Disclaimer I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Hasbro blogging program, for 8,000 My SocialMoms Rewards Points and a KRE-O gift. The opinions expressed in this post are mine and don’t necessarily reflect the opinions of SocialMoms or Hasbro. For more information on how you can participate, click here.
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.