These toilet paper roll fire starters are a great way to make campfires start blazing quickly. There is certainly no shortage of toilet paper tubes in most households. With a family of 4 and 3 bathrooms in my house, we go through quite a bit of toilet paper. For every roll of toilet paper that gets replaced, I am left with one empty cardboard tube to dispose of. Most of the time, those toilet paper tubes end up in the recycle bin but there are plenty of creative ways to reuse them. If you are a fan of camping or bonfires, you can turn that cardboard toilet paper tube into a convenient way to start your next fire.
Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links.
It’s a Great Way to Use Dryer Lint!
In order to save up enough dryer lint to create these fire starters, just keep a plastic bag in your laundry room. Every time you clean the lint trap, tuck the dryer lint into the plastic bag. This makes it easy to have dryer lint on hand when you want to make a few of these!
Other Uses for Dryer Lint:
- Stuffing Toys. Have a stuffed toy who has lost it’s stuffing? Use dryer lint to stuff small stuffed toys
- Nesting Material for Birds. It’s a great way to attract birds to your yard.
- Feed your worm farm or add to a compost bin.
- Make dryer lint clay. Yes, you can make dryer lint clay! Check out the directions on Instructibles.com
Add Melted Wax if Desired
In order to slow down the burning process and give the wood in your campfire time to catch on fire, a small amount of melted wax can be added along with the dryer lint. If you are making these DIY fire starters, you may want to light a candle right before you start working and use a small amount of the melted wax for this project. Add the wax to the center of the toilet paper roll fire starters. Just make sure to not pack the lint and wax too tightly.
✯Don’t want to miss the next post?✯
Or join the private Facebook group for simple tips on going green!
Uses for Toilet Paper Tubes besides Fire Starters
There are a million ways to use toilet paper tubes other than these homemade fire starters. Try a few of these suggestions and then check out the video below for some amazing toilet paper roll life hacks!
- Families with small children can turn them into unique art projects.
- They are great for organizing the cords to your electronics.
- Donate them to preschools for use in THEIR craft making.
- Organize Your Yarn
- Store wrapping paper in them
- Use them to start seeds for your garden
Toilet Paper Roll Fire Starters
- Dryer lint
- toilet paper tubes (one for each fire starter you want to make)
- Melted wax (if desired)
- Several sheets of newspaper or used printer paper
- Lay a piece of newspaper on your work surface
- Stand your toilet paper tubes upright on your work surface
- Stuff (loosely) some dryer lint into the toilet paper tube.
- If you are going to add melted wax: Stuff the tube half full of dryer lint. Pour a small amount of wax onto the dryer lint, then add more dryer lint on top of that.
- Take a separate piece of newspaper or used printer paper
- Roll the toilet paper tube up in the paper, tucking the ends inside the tube once you are done rolling
- To use: Place the fire starter at the base of your campfire with twigs and small kindling on top of it. Light the fire starter and enjoy a roaring campfire!
Have you ever made toilet paper roll fire starters?
Diane has a Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology with a Minor in Health Management and Policy. She spent many years working in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging as a way to share this knowledge with others. While passionate about health and the environment she can’t quite give up her favorite Cheetos and Diet Coke! Learn more about her HERE.