Fall is slowly making it’s way into Georgia and with it comes a new selection of seasonal produce to choose from. The corn and green beans are heading out and in come things like pumpkins, apples and an assortment of root vegetables. If you have been following my blog you will have seen my recent garden update where I shared the bounty of sweet potatoes that I harvested last week. I am honestly amazed at how successful they were! I am not generally known for my gardening success. I try really hard but trying to garden organically in Georgia is challenging. But, I think that my success in growing these sweet potatoes just shows that we are better off attempting to grow produce that is well suited to our own individual climate! If you want to see what else is going on in my garden just check out my post on fall gardening tips.
Seeing as I now have an overflowing supply of sweet potatoes I needed to come up with a few things to make with them. While I am happy to just eat one right out of the oven baked in foil I have a LOT of sweet potatoes to use up! I will be scouring the internet over the coming weeks to find great new sweet potatoes to choose from. If you have one, please feel free to leave a link in the comments below! So, for these sweet potato pancakes just bake the sweet potato in foil for about an hour at 425 degrees. Do this ahead of time so you can let it cool. Handling hot sweet potatoes is not fun! We made these sweet potato pancakes for dinner tonight and they are filling but oh so tasty! If you want to check out the original recipe you can see it on The Food Network. I made a few changes and the recipe below is what I actually made. Enjoy!
Sweet Potato Pancakes with Cinnamon Honey Butter
- For the Cinnamon Honey Butter: 1 stick softened butter, 3 TBSP raw honey, ¼ tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp vanilla
- For the pancakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 cups milk
- 2 TBSP melted butter, plus more for greasing skillet
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 sweet potato, cooked until tender, peeled and pureed
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- To serve: Maple syrup
- To make the honey butter: Put all ingredients in a large bowl and whip until smooth and creamy. Using a small scoop, scoop onto a piece of parchment paper and chill.
- To make the pancakes:
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Heat skillet or griddle to medium high
- Cook approximately ½ cup of batter per pancake in buttered skillet until bubbles form on the surface, then turn over and cook until dark golden brown.
- Serve topped with Cinnamon Honey Butter and maple syrup
- Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/40-a-day/sweet-potato-pancakes-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback
Feel free to share your own sweet potato recipe in the comments below!