This hearty sweet potato chickpea curry recipe was a big hit for dinner last night. Loaded with chickpeas for protein as well as plenty of veggies, it is served over rice for a vegan dinner recipe that really fills you up.
The combination of flavors from the coconut milk, curry paste, and ginger make this an especially tasty dish. Plus, it’s ready in under 30 minutes – perfect for busy weeknights. Give it a try and you’ll be sure to love it just as much as we did! Bon appetit!
Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
What is curry, anyhow?
So, what exactly is curry? Traditionally, curry is a meal of meat, vegetables, etc., that is cooked in an Indian-style sauce flavored with strong spices and typically served with rice.
It generally contains Indian spices like ground turmeric, cumin, coriander, ginger, and fresh or dried chilies. This particular sweet potato chickpea curry recipe uses a prepared curry paste as well as fresh ginger and garlic.
These are all spices popular in the Ayurvedic diet, which is well known for its health benefits.
✯Don’t want to miss the next post?✯
Follow Turning the Clock Back on Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
Or join the private Facebook group for simple tips on going green!
If you want to learn more about some of the spices used in this dish, check out my post about the health benefits of Indian food. Indian food contains some of the healthiest spices and you should definitely start adding a few of them to your diet!
I love that this healthy vegetable curry is cheap and easy to make, even if you are in a hurry. Eating healthy doesn’t have to take a long time!
More Healthy Recipes with Indian Spices
- Vegan Creamy Carrot Soup Recipe with Curry and Coconut Milk
- Turmeric Tea Recipe
- Middle Eastern Inspired Pureed Vegetable Soup Recipe
Tips for Making This Easy Sweet Potato Curry
While I was browsing Pinterest for healthy recipes to make for dinner, I stumbled across a sweet potato spinach curry recipe. GREAT. Except I didn’t have any spinach. I did, however, have KALE.
So, with a few modifications, I created this healthy vegetable curry and had dinner on the table in 30 minutes. The key to making this sweet potato and chickpea curry is to dice up your vegetables fairly small so that they cook quickly. Here are a few other tips that will come in handy for making this easy sweet potato curry recipe:
- Use quick-cooking rice. I love brown rice, however, it takes an hour to cook in my steamer. I used a quick cooking rice blend that was done in thirty minutes. If you want to use brown rice, cook it the night before. Then, just heat and serve with your Indian curry.
- Keep pieces small. As I mentioned previously, dice the sweet potato and carrot fairly small so they cook quickly.
- For a low-fat curry, use light coconut milk. I chose to go with full-fat coconut milk because it does make a richer sauce.
- Adjust cooking time if needed. If your curry recipe seems a bit too thin, take off the lid of your pot and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes or so to thicken it up.
- Remember, this sweet potato and chickpea curry is flexible. Did you find a sweet potato spinach curry recipe looks good but you don’t have the ingredients? Get creative. You can substitute white potatoes and kale and it will taste just as delicious!
- Save the carrot tops! If you use carrots with the greens still on them, save the carrot tops in the freezer and use them for carrot top pesto.
Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry Recipe with Fresh Kale
This sweet potato chickpea curry recipe with carrots and fresh kale is loaded with everything you need for a healthy dinner recipe. A warm and hearty vegan curry loaded with flavor!
Keep the pantry stocked with sweet potatoes and chickpeas. You can make my sweet potato pancakes, twice-baked sweet potatoes, or some spicy roasted chickpeas next!
Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry Recipe with Fresh Kale
This hearty sweet potato chickpea curry recipe is loaded with chickpeas and plenty of vegetables.Serve it over rice for a delicious vegan dinner recipe.
- 3 to 4 TBSP olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, peeled & diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 cups baby kale, washed
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 2 TBSP red curry paste
- 2 TBSP soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 cup water
- fresh cilantro and limes for serving
- 6 cups of cooked rice
- In a medium sized saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook the diced onion over medium high heat, stirring often. Saute 3 to 4 minutes or until slightly translucent. Add the ginger and garlic. Cook another minute.
- Add in sweet potatoes, carrots, and bell pepper. Cook 2 to 3 minutes while stirring.
- Add in the coconut milk, water, soy sauce and curry paste.
- Bring to a simmer and cover. Cook 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- If sauce is too thin, remove lid and cook 5 more minutes.
- Add fresh kale and stir, mixing until kale is wilted
- Sever over cooked rice with cilantro and lime wedges as garnish.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 443Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 7gSodium: 1281mgCarbohydrates: 53gSugar: 10gProtein: 6g
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.