I received product from Alladin through Mom Trends for use in this post but received no compensation for including it here.
Water is incredibly good for our bodies, but it does get a little boring after a while. I have been trying to come up with interesting ways to flavor it for better hydration this summer. Did you know that you can add certain things to water that not only add flavor but are beneficial to our health as well? There has been quite a bit of buzz lately in the health community about detox water and while I’m not sure if it is the miracle cure some people make it out to be, it is certainly tasty and getting more water into our bodies is definitely a good thing! Another perk of detox water (besides the flushing of toxins) is that it is supposed to slim down our waistline. Definitely an ongoing goal of mine now that I am on the other side of forty!
So, why were these ingredients chosen for my detox water? Here is a quick look at each ingredient and what it offers in terms of our health:
- Cucumbers contain citrulline which is an amino acid. It helps flush ammonia from our liver and kidneys which is produced during our body’s breakdown of protein.
- Lemons are good for digestion and help relieve constipation, bloating and gas thus helping slim our waistline.
- Mint helps improve the flow of bile, which aids in the breakdown of dietary fat.
- Limes have a similar benefit to our bodies as lemons. You can read more about the health benefits of limes to see what amazing and TASTY little fruits they are!
You can make up this detox water in bulk and refill the water portion of the drink several times before having to replace the fruits and veggies. Invest in a large glass jug with a spout like the one from Alladin. Once you have the fruits and vegetables added, just fill with water and leave it in the fridge for use throughout the day. General rule of thumb is that we should be drinking 6 to 8 glasses of water per day (approximately 8 ounces each). Drink more or less, depending on personal preference.
Lemon Lime Detox Water
- 2 liters of water
- 1 large cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 limes, thinly sliced
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- Put mint, fruits and vegetables into a large glass container with a spout for pouring.
- Fill with water and ice
- Drink 6 to 8 cups per day
- Keep refrigerated and use within 2 to 3 days