Like many other overextended families, I find it hard some days to get dinner on the table and all 4 people actually sitting down to eat it. Our evenings are crammed full of homework, music lessons, tennis and several other activities but family mealtime is one thing that I am adamant about. Some days we eat at 4:30 and others we may eat at 7:00 but I like to have the whole family at the table every night…it is a way for my husband and I to stay connected to our children and for us to relax. My go to meal on a hectic night is almost always pasta. Why? Because you can do so much with it! Whether you choose something fancy or a basic dish with just plain sauce you can get a healthy meal on the table in a short amount of time. Barilla pasta has always been a family favorite and I like to stock up when my local grocery store has a sale so it is always in my pantry. Since today is World Pasta Day, Barilla pasta is a perfect idea for your own dinner table tonight!
Between work, household chores, errands, kids’ after school activities, and homework it is tough to get a healthy meal on the table some nights. According to a recent Barrilla pasta survey:
- 88% of parents are reliant upon multi-tasking each day and more than half (58%) say their life is more hectic now, than a year ago.
- While families are making time for dinner, Two-in-five meal-preparers agree it is difficult to find time to prepare dinner in their household.
- They don’t want to miss enjoying a home cooked meal with their family as they worry the alternative will offer poor nutritional content (74%) and they will miss out on family time at the table (65%).
Pasta is a tasty and easy meal option that can be prepared using on-hand ingredients from a pantry. It is a quick, versatile meal that allows for multitasking while it’s cooking….that way you can get the table set or drinks poured while it cooks. If you need meal ideas, check out the Barilla Modern Family Cookbook which is a free downloadable collection of recipes that are healthy and easy to make.
As part of the Barilla World Pasta Day Celebration, I received a wonderful selection of Barilla pasta to try out, along with a cookbook and a few other accessories. I was thrilled to be included in this campaign and found a great recipe to spotlight in my post!
Farfalle with Zucchini, Carrots, Fennel,
Marjoram & Parmigiano Cheese
A light vegetable and pasta recipe
10 minPrep Time
12 minCook Time
22 minTotal Time
- 1 box Barilla PLUS® Farfalle
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 head fennel, diced
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced half moon
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon marjoram, chopped
- or 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- • BRING a large pot of water to a boil.
- • COOK garlic in olive oil for 1-2 minutes or until slightly yellow in color in a large skillet.
- • ADD carrots and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until lightly browned.
- • ADD the fennel and zucchini; season with salt and pepper, sauté for about 3 minutes.
- • COOK pasta according to package direction, drain and toss with sauce.
- • REMOVE from heat and add fresh marjoram and cheese.
- • STIR to combine and serve.
One note about the Barilla pasta dish that I created: My grocery store did not have fresh fennel! Amazing, right? But, instead I used leaks and a touch of anise seed. It turned out great…that is what I love about pasta dishes…they are extremely versatile!
YOU can help Barilla pasta feed the hungry!
On World Pasta Day (October 25th, 2012) you can help Barilla feed the hungry through their Share a Hug program on Facebook. For every virtual hug you share with your friends through the Barilla pasta app, they will donate the equivalent of 4 meals to Feeding America, the nation’s largest domestic hunger relief organization. You will also be able to download the Barilla Modern Family cCokbook and a coupon (while supplies last).
Click HERE to start helping to feed the hungry!
Disclaimer: I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Barilla. I received product samples to facilitate my review and a promotional item as a thank-you for participating.