Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
As a kid, my mom used to make tuna casserole all the time. The good old red can of cream of mushroom soup was a staple in my mother’s kitchen. Well, I pretty much stopped buying canned soups because I was a bit suspicious of the ingredients.
When I was at Whole Foods a couple of weeks ago I found an organic cream of mushroom soup and decided it was time to spruce up mom’s recipe a bit. I bet everyone has their own memories of tuna casserole and you have probably made this comfort food recipe for your own kids (if you love a good casserole, check out my cheesy chicken and rice casserole recipe!). Here is my version of the classic tuna casserole. Let me know what you put into your own recipe!
Classic Tuna Casserole with Cream of Mushroom Soup
This tuna casserole recipe with cream of mushroom soup is a family favorite. Egg noodles, peas, and good old cream of mushroom soup all baked together and topped with buttered breadcrumbs. Delicious comfort food the whole family will love.
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 1 TBSP butter
- 1 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 cans tuna
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- 2 TBSP flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cook noodles according to package directions
- Melt 1 TBSP butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Add 2 TBSP flour, milk, and cream of mushroom soup. Cook 4 to 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add salt and pepper.
- In a 4-quart baking dish combine noodles, peas, tuna, and mushroom soup mixture. Stir until well mixed.
- In a small saucepan melt the remaining 1/4 cup butter and add bread crumbs. Mix until completely moistened.
- Top casserole with shredded cheese
- Add buttered bread crumbs to top of the casserole
- Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees or until lightly browned and bubbly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 371Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 927mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 21g
Nutrition information not always accurate
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.