Looking for a chicken casserole recipe your kids will actually eat? This cheesy chicken and rice casserole recipe is simple to make and uses only real ingredients instead of canned soups.
Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links.
Prepare Chicken and Rice Ahead of Time
One of the best casserole tips I can give you is to prepare ingredients ahead of time. On the weekend, make up some rice. If you are cooking chicken on the grill, throw on a few more pieces and pick them off to store in the fridge. Easy casseroles are at your fingertips if you do meal prep on the weekends.
More Chicken Recipes to Try
- Chili and Lime Roasted Corn Salad with Avocado and Chicken
- Chicken and Potato Skillet Dinner Recipe
- Chicken Taco Ranch Pasta Salad Recipe
Best Rice for Your Chicken and Rice Casserole
How to Store Cooked Chicken for Casseroles
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe
Skip the canned soup chicken casseroles and boxed foods and start with real ingredients. Actual meat, rice, vegetables and cheese make the basis for this easy casserole and your kids will love it! Make this in a glass casserole dish and it can go right into the fridge if you have leftovers.
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 large chicken breast (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 10 ounces of mixed frozen vegetables
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain low fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup or more of fresh chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook rice according to package directions (I use a steamer)
- While rice is steaming heat up a large skillet with a little olive oil and cook chicken
- When chicken is almost done, throw in diced onions and saute 2 to 3 minutes
- Add frozen veggies and cook til heated through (5 minutes?)
- Add in rice and mix thoroughly
- Add cheddar cheese, mayo and plain yogurt (you can substitute all mayo and skip the yogurt)
- Mix well and season with salt and pepper
- Throw in parsley at the last minute and mix.
- Serves 4 to 6 people
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 347Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 274mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g
Nutrition information is not always accurate
Do you have a favorite chicken recipe you would like to share?
Diane has a Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology with a Minor in Health Management and Policy. She spent many years working in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging as a way to share this knowledge with others. While passionate about health and the environment she can’t quite give up her favorite Cheetos and Diet Coke! Learn more about her HERE.