Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Disclaimer: This healthy eating post is sponsored by Zevia but all opinions expressed are my own.
I have tried hard over the last several years to get my family on board with my healthy eating plan. I find that by changing the way I shop and by taking more time to prepare foods from scratch I tend to eat healthier. Healthy eating isn’t always easy for me. I like chips and junk food just as much as the next girl but keeping it out of my house is the first step towards not eating it! Sure, when I go out with friends I splurge on chips and queso or an ice cream sundae but I try to avoid keeping those temptations in my house. I readily admit that I have zero willpower when it comes to saying no to snacks. If you want to make healthy eating a priority in your house, I thought I would offer some very basic tips on how to make changes in your diet so that you don’t feel like you are totally sacrificing the foods you love. If someone told me I had to live on beansprouts and tofu for the rest of my life, I would toss my healthy eating plan right out the window! So, in order to eat a bit healthier here are a few ideas on what you should and should NOT be eating!
Healthy Eating Tips
1. Instead of donuts and muffins, choose a bagel: I am not talking about gigantic chocolate chip bagels, either! Buy whole grain, raisin, or sesame seed bagels and toast only half of it. Top with nut butter or jam instead of cream cheese or butter. Add a side of fruit and low fat milk and you have a balanced breakfast.
2. Drink your iced tea unsweetened: Down here in the south, sweet tea rules! However, there are a ton of calories in one glass of sweet tea. Learn to make your own tea at home and start dialing back on the sugar. A better choice than sugar is a natural sweetener like agave nectar, honey or stevia. By gradually reducing the amount of sweetener you use, you will eventually get to the point where you prefer your iced tea without that sickening sweetness!
3. Make smarter choices for pizza toppings: While sausage, bacon and pepperoni might make your mouth drool, processed meats are really very unhealthy. Choose vegetables instead or just opt for a plain cheese pizza. You will be saving yourself a ton of calories and avoiding some very unhealthy overly processed meats.
✯Don’t want to miss the next post?✯
Or join the private Facebook group for simple tips on going green!
4. Skip the sports drinks: I am not a huge fan of most sports drinks. The average human that is doing moderate exercise really only needs to replace the fluids they lose with plain old water . If you don’t care for plain old water, try adding a spritz of lemon or lime juice to it. Unless you are training for a marathon, you probably do not need electrolyte replacements. Also, most sports drinks are loaded with sugar and artificial colors and flavors. If you really want a natural and very low calorie electrolyte replacement, try coconut water instead.
5. Rethink your salad dressings: So, you decide that to get on board with the healthy eating idea you will make yourself a salad. Then, you top it with a ton of ranch dressing. Well, you just added lots of fat and calories to your otherwise healthy meal! Choose a lower in fat variety like the yogurt based dressings by Bolthouse Farms or make your own wild orange vinaigrette so that you can control the ingredients that go in it.
6. Rethink your diet cola! Artificial sweeteners are so tempting because they allow us to enjoy the sweetness we have come to expect in our drinks without all the extra calories. However, artificial sweeteners are just that: ARTIFICIAL! There is nothing natural about aspartame and I would prefer to avoid it whenever possible. For me, healthy eating means getting back to more natural foods but I admit, I have a huge weakness when it comes to soda. It is one of those things that I crave! In order to feel better about my occasional soda weakness, I have switched over to Zevia natural sodas, which are sweetened with stevia.
Zevia comes in 15 different flavors and is naturally sweetened with stevia. What is stevia? It is a plant that is related to the sunflower and is 300 times sweeter than sugar with absolutely no calories. It also has no effect on blood sugar. All Zevia products are also non-GMO, kosher, vegan, and contain only natural flavors. Zevia is a great way to get your soda fix without the calories or artificial ingredients of most traditional sodas.
Click HERE to grab a Zevia coupon!
I have tried many different flavors of Zevia over the last few years and some are nearly identical to what you are probably used to. Honestly, the root beer and cream sodas are absolutely delicious! My kids love the grape, orange, and other fruit flavored varieties and my husband’s favorite is the Dr. Zevia (their version of the good old Dr. Pepper flavor). While the cola doesn’t taste exactly like a Diet Coke, I enjoy it and am happy to have a zero calorie, natural soda to add to my healthy eating plan. If you want to try Zevia for yourself, keep reading! I would love to hear your suggestions for healthy eating in the comments below!
Zevia would like to offer one of my readers *FIVE* free product (6 pack) coupons. That is an average retail value of approximately $30. This is a Giveaway Tools contest so follow the directions in the form to enter the giveaway. The contest is over at midnight EST on April 5th, 2013.
Disclaimer: In accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials.”: I received product samples in exchange for my honest review. I received no monetary compensation. All opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone. Some of the links in this post may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.
By entering this giveaway, you release this blog and it’s owner from any liability whatsoever, and waive any and all causes of action, related to any claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the giveaway or delivery, mis-delivery or acceptance of any prize.
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.