Make a new holiday tradition: Check your carbon monoxide detector!

Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

My husband and I have a lot of Christmas traditions…church on Christmas eve,  ham on the dining room table for dinner, and changing the batteries in our smoke detectors and testing our carbon monoxide detector. These 2 items may very well save our lives one day and we don’t take any chances that they won’t work because of a dead battery or some electronic glitch! First Alert offers a number of products to help keep your family safe from fire and carbon monoxide poisoning. If you are not familiar with First Alert, here is some information about them from their website:

First Alert is America’s most trusted brand in home safety. We are recognized by our premium standard of smoke alarms, carbon monoxide alarms, fire extinguishers, safes, security cameras, doors, fencing, window guards and so much more. No other manufacturer offers as versatile of a product line, while also driving expansion in the safety category with such innovative products as Tundra Fire Extinguishing Spray. We are the consumers #1 destination for fire and home safety information.

Did you know that carbon monoxide alarms should be replaced every 5-7 years and smoke alarms should be replaced every 10 years? The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends replacement to ensure the most effective protection and prevent nuisance alarms. Carbon Monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning in the United States according to the American Medical Association. Common causes of carbon monoxide production can be gas or oil appliances like a furnace, clothes dryer, range, oven, water heater, or space heaters that are not working properly.

Here are some tips to help prevent a CO poisoning:
  • Never use a gas range or oven to heat a home
  • Never leave your car running and parked in an enclosed or partially enclosed space, such as a garage
  • Never use a charcoal grill, hibachi, lantern, or portable camping stove inside a home, tent, or camper
  • Have your furnace, water heater and other gas appliances checked yearly by a certified professional
  • Install First Alert Carbon Monoxide alarms in or near every bedroom and on every level of your home including the basement

Elizabeth Bryan, co-author of Chicken Soup for the Soul: Count Your Blessings, almost lost her entire family to carbon monoxide poisoning. She is the mom of  three sons, four cats and three dogs. One day, with the kids and herself cranky, lethargic, and feeling rundown, she headed to the doctor who just suggested that everyone was coming down with the flu. After heading back home and trying to get some work done, she discovered the First Alert Carbon Monoxide detector had been disconnected! As soon as it was plugged back in, it started alarming and she knew to get her family out of the house. They didn’t have the flu…they were being poisoned by carbon monoxide!

The days that followed revealed that the heater was emitting CO and a workman in their home had disengaged the alarm weeks earlier because it had gone off while he was doing something, and the noise was irritating. He thought the battery was dead!

Elizabeth has learned to count her blessings…death from carbon monoxide poisoning is much more common than it should be! With monitors and detectors available at relatively inexpensive prices, it is an easy way to safeguard your family against this type of tragedy!

Make safety a new holiday tradition! Check the batteries in your smoke alarms and test your carbon monoxide alarm. And if you don’t own these safety devices…check out First Alert. It could very well save your family’s life!

 Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post, written by me on behalf of First Alert. All opinions expresssed here are mine and mine alone.


6 thoughts on “Make a new holiday tradition: Check your carbon monoxide detector!”

  1. A CO alarm is on my list of things to get. That is a CRAZY story about Elizabeth Bryan’s experience – thank goodness they found out before it was too late!!

  2. Thank you for the tips and the reminder. We have a First Alert Carbon Monoxide detector but I do not know when we last changed the batteries.


Leave a Comment