Looking for Christmas snack ideas for kids? They will love these chocolate Reindeer Antlers! Made with stick pretzels and melted chocolate, just dip, decorate, dry and serve! It is fun activity for kids Christmas parties, too.
Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links.
Have fun with holiday baking
My favorite part of the holidays is definitely the baking. Okay, I love the eating, too, but first there has to be baking! My kids have become very handy in the kitchen and during the chaos of the holidays, baking with your children is a great way to slow down and reconnect.
We make a ton of candy during Christmas to share with family, friends, neighbors and teachers. Even the bus driver gets a special gift to help show him how much I appreciate his patience! This weekend my children and I embarked on a new challenge: We created Reindeer Antlers using stick pretzels, chocolate, and holiday M&M’s.
✯Don’t want to miss the next post?✯
Or join the private Facebook group for simple tips on going green!
Melting Chocolate for Dipping
The best way to melt chocolate is to put it in a double boiler but if you don’t have a double boiler and don’t have a lot of extra space to store one they are easy to recreate with a pot of simmering water that has a glass or stainless steel bowl sitting over it.
Make sure to keep the heat on low and only put a few inches of water in the bottom of the pan. You want a very low simmer so that the steam is what melts the chocolate, not the actual hot water.
How to make these Chocolate Reindeer Antlers
Once the chocolate is melted you just need to line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and start dipping your pretzel sticks. You (and your children) will probably get a tad bit messing during this step but that is half the fun! I actually found it easier to wash a pair of tweezers to dip the pretzels with.
Yes, wash them well before you use them (and after!) but it made gripping chocolaty pretzels very easy! When your pretzels are dipped just lay them into a reindeer antler formation on the parchment paper. While the chocolate is still warm, gently place some holiday M&M’s on top. I let the chocolate set for a few minutes first. This way, the M&M’s don’t go sliding off the pretzels.
I used a combination of sizes for this craft….some mini’s for the antler decor and a regular sized M&M for the ‘nose’ at the bottom. The hardest part of this project is to NOT eat your reindeer antlers before they are done setting up. Be patient, it will be worth it!
During the chaos of the holidays, remember to take time out of your busy schedule to spend time with your children. Whether it is wrapping gifts, baking cookies or candy, or attending church together it is important to slow down this month and remember to be thankful for our blessings.
If you want to try the recipe that I made above, just print the recipe card below! If you want more fun Christmas party ideas, check out Oprah Magazine! Or, if you want more delicious chocolate covered snacks, check out my chocolate dipped apricots!
- 1 3/4 cups DOVE® Chocolate
- 3/4 cup M&M’S® Brand MINIS®
- 1 bag pretzel sticks, broken into various sized pieces
- Reynolds® Parchment Paper
- Remove 3/4 cup red and green M&M’S® Brand MINIS® and set aside for decoration.
- Line a baking sheet with Reynolds® Parchment Paper.
- Melt the DOVE® Chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of boiling water. Stir the mixture as it melts. When mixture is shiny and smooth, turn off the heat.
- Once all the chocolate is melted, dip the pretzel pieces one at a time and arrange them on the prepared baking sheet into an antler shape. Place the M&M’S® Brand MINIS® on each antler as it is finished.
- Repeat this same process until all the antlers are finished.
- Let the chocolate cool completely and get firm. You can refrigerate to firm the chocolate more quickly.
- Once firm, remove them from the Reynolds® Parchment Paper.
- If desired, wrap each one in a sheet of cellophane, tied with a ribbon or simply put them on a cookie plate.
- Tip: Add red M&M’S® Brand MINIS® to form the red nose.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 601Total Fat: 59gSaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 1139mgCarbohydrates: 15gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g
Diane has a Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology with a Minor in Health Management and Policy. She spent many years working in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging as a way to share this knowledge with others. While passionate about health and the environment she can’t quite give up her favorite Cheetos and Diet Coke! Learn more about her HERE.