Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This post about why you need a high protein breakfast has been sponsored. I am participating in an Influencer Activation on behalf of Influence Central for Orgain. I received product samples as well as a promotional item to thank me for my participation. #PoweredByOrgain
Mornings are busy for most of us and whipping up a high protein breakfast isn’t always on the to do list. Finding sneakers is on the to do list. Feeding the dog and making sure the kids have their homework packed are also on the to do list. But, sitting down to a nice, healthy breakfast is not always high on my list of things to do at 6 AM. I force myself to grab a high protein breakfast, though, because I am at the gym by 8 AM most days of the week. Without a high protein breakfast, I really and truly do not have the energy for a good workout. You know why? Because my body has been fasting ALL NIGHT. A high protein breakfast with plenty of other whole food ingredients helps replenish what our bodies used up during the night. Think you don’t need a high protein breakfast? Here are a few compelling reasons why you DO!
5 Reasons You Need a High Protein Breakfast
- A high protein breakfast may help you lose weight: Breakfast skippers tend to be overweight more often than those who actually eat a high protein breakfast. Satiating your hunger early in the morning means that you are not ravenous at lunch time. When humans are ravenous, they tend to make poor food choices and eat much more than they should.
- A high protein breakfast helps maximize muscle maintenance: Americans eat most of their protein during the evening meal. There is only so much protein that your muscles can utilize at any one time. Providing your body with a few smaller servings of protein throughout the day will help maximize muscle maintenance. If you need high protein breakfast ideas, include eggs, milk, yogurt, cheese, lean meats and protein powder into your breakfast to jump start your muscle health.
- Most breakfast options aren’t that nutritious: Making a high protein breakfast means that you are removing some of the not so healthy foods from your diet. Giant muffins and bagels are loaded with carbs and sugar and NOT a healthy breakfast choice. Skip the simple carbs and add protein, fruits and healthy whole foods to your morning routine.
- A high protein breakfast levels out blood sugar: The other day I was in a hurry and grabbed a plain bagel on my way out the door instead of my high protein breakfast. I actually had to LEAVE the gym because I was shaking so badly due to low blood sugar. Granted, I’m hypoglycemic so I have blood sugar issues to start with but protein is amazing at keeping my blood sugar stable. Nuts, seeds, dairy and other high protein snacks are always my first choice when I’m hungry!
- A high protein breakfast reduces food cravings: An article published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (AJCN) showed that a high protein breakfast not only kept people full LONGER but brain scans showed reduced activity in the area that controls food cravings. That means the people in the study indulged in fewer high fat, high sugar, ‘bad for you’ snacks throughout the day!
When you don’t have the time to cook, finding the right source of protein can be difficult. There are plenty of protein bars, powders and shakes on the market today, but have you tasted most of these protein supplements? More often than not, they come with a chalky taste and a gritty texture. This does NOT make for a tasty high protein breakfast!
Orgain Protein Powder is made from organic plant-based proteins. It was created by Dr. Andrew Abraham, whose own experience seeking high-quality nutrition during his cancer treatment years ago inspired him to develop delicious nutrition products with the highest quality organic ingredients. This includes things like brown rice, hemp, chia, and pea proteins. It can can be added into your favorite smoothies and protein shakes. You can even add it into your pancakes for an added boost of protein with your breakfast! Unlike a lot of protein supplements, Orgain Protein Powder has a smooth, creamy texture. It was a delicious addition to my peanut butter and banana high protein smoothie!
Peanut Butter & Banana Protein Smoothie Recipe
What is YOUR favorite high protein breakfast?
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.