Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links.
This apple oatmeal quick bread makes a really healthy breakfast or after school snack for your kids. The apples make it nice and moist and the oatmeal gives it a nice chewy texture. Not overly sweet like some quick breads I have had. Tender and delicious, with a light touch of cinnamon, this quick bread is perfect for a winter breakfast. This healthy quick bread is the perfect way to start the day – for you or your kids!
What are Quick Breads?
So, what is a quick bread, exactly? Basically, quick breads are leavened with baking powder and baking soda instead of yeast.
More quick bread recipes
- Applesauce Quick Bread Recipe and the Benefits of Healthy Snacking
- Whole Wheat Cranberry Bread
- Easy Spiced Zucchini Bread Recipe
What are the five main ingredients in quick breads?
Quick breads follow a bit of a formula. They contain mostly the same ingredients, with a few variations for flavor or mix-ins. Basic quick bread ingredients include the following:
- Flour (whole wheat, white, or a blend of the two)
- Liquid (varies, depending on recipe)
- Salt (a necessary quick bread ingredient for proper rising)
- Fat (usually oil but can be butter as well)
- Sugar (generally there is LOTS of sugar in homemade quick breads)
- Eggs (you can use chia seeds and additional liquid for eggs in some recipes)
How do you know when quick bread is done?
The trickiest part of making a homemade quick bread is knowing when it is done. As they cook, quick breads will usually rise to about the edge of the pan and the top will crack. It will start to look golden brown. Insert a knife about once inch from the center of the pan. If the knife comes out clean, with only a few crumbs, it is done. If there is batter on the knife, keep cooking it and check in 5 minutes or so.
What are the best apples for quick breads?
Personally, I prefer baking with Granny Smith apples, however, just about any apple will work. If you want smaller pieces of apple in the final bread, you can shred the apple instead of chopping it. Shredded apples blend into the bread, making it a smoother texture when baked.
Apple Oatmeal Quick Bread
This quick bread recipe makes a moist, sweet, and delicious apple bread that tastes just like fall!
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1 cup whole oats
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- One tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 to 1 cup peeled and diced apples
1. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, mix together yogurt, apple juice, and oats and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix together egg, oil, vanilla, and brown sugar.
4. Stir in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and yogurt mixture
5. Fold in apples. Pour into greased pan.
6. Heat oven to 350°F. Bake 45- 60 minutes or until golden brown or a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
7. Remove from pan immediately. Once cooled, cut bread into 12 slices.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 259Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 257mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 2gSugar: 16gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information is not always accurate
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.