If you have an aversion to grits, you will LOVE this Alton Brown cheese grits recipe. Made with heavy cream, real butter, and loads of cheddar cheese, they are creamy and delicious! Use instant grits if you are in a hurry and finish them off with a spoonful of tomato paste. This easy cheese grits recipe will convert even a die-hard grits hater, I promise!
I will tell you straight up, I don’t like grits. I have had them dozens of times since I moved to the south and they usually just don’t appeal to me. But, these easy cheese grits are GOOD! They are not low fat or in any way good for you but they taste heavenly!
I tried to balance the rest of the meal by serving sauteed shrimp, steamed broccoli, and fresh blueberries. Don’t skimp on the cream, butter, and cheese! This is a quick recipe…only takes about 5 minutes!
Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
What Are Grits?
Grits are an iconic southern dish. They date back as far as the 16th century. Originally, they were made by drying corn kernels and boiling them to create a mush. Now, we just buy ground corn, cook it in a heavenly combination of cream and stock, and add cheese and butter for more richness and flavor.
Honestly, skip the plain grits. Go with the ones full of cream, cheese, and butter. You will LOVE THEM!
Southern Food Done Right
I have had a ton of opportunities to try southern food over the years. We love the Alton Brown cookbooks for southern recipes. If you want a taste of the south, try these other recipes as well:
- Sausage in Sawmill Gravy (a traditional southern recipe)
- Southern Pimento Cheese Recipe for a Deliciously Easy Appetizer!
- Cajun Style Dirty Rice Recipe Your Family Will Love
Alton Brown Grits Recipe
This creamy grits recipe is loaded with cheddar cheese. A traditional southern recipe made even better! Check out the Alton Brown Goodeats Cookbook for more great recipes.
- 1 cup water or chicken stock
- 1 tsp. bullion (if using water) I like Better than Bullion (see amazon link below for info)
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 3/8 cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 cup instant grits
- Toppings of choice: Grilled shrimp, crumbled bacon, green onions, etc.
- Bring water, butter and bullion to a boil
- Add grits and whisk briskly with fork
- As it starts to thicken, add cream, tomato paste, and cheese
- Stir till thick and remove from heat. If it is a little too thin, add extra grits and let sit a few minutes. It will thicken up!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 273mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information not always accurate
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.