This strawberry steak salad with orange vinaigrette dressing is sponsored by Tastefully Simple. All opinions expressed are my own.
When you think of salad, do you picture iceberg lettuce and store bought salad dressing? Not only is that boring, but it’s also not particularly healthy. This easy steak salad is loaded with healthy ingredients and a simple homemade orange vinaigrette dressing recipe using Tastefully Simple ingredients. If you are looking for a healthy and protein rich salad recipe, this is the perfect choice!
How To Make Orange Vinaigrette Dressing
Orange citrus vinaigrette is very easy to make. Simple ingredients make for a delicious flavor. I used Tastefully Simple Avocado Oil and Aged Balsamic Vinegar of Modena for the base of this homemade vinaigrette recipe. Avocado oil is a healthy option for your simple salad dressing recipe if you want something different from olive oil. And the balsamic vinegar from Tastefully Simple is thick, rich and very flavorful.
For the seasonings in this citrus vinaigrette, I used Tastefully Simple Citrus Herb blend. It is a combination of dried onion, garlic, carrot, red bell pepper, tomato, orange and lemon peel. Rather than add a million spices, this seasoning blend made an easy alternative.
✯Don’t want to miss the next post?✯
Or join the private Facebook group for simple tips on going green!
So, to make this vinaigrette dressing, combine avocado oil, balsamic vinegar, orange juice, honey and the Citrus Herb blend in a large glass bowl and whisk thoroughly. Use two thirds of it (or so) as the steak marinade.
Reserve about one third of it in a glass mason jar with lid to use as the salad dressing. Store it in the refrigerator while you marinate your steak in the rest. Once you serve your salad, the flavors will have all blended together to become a delicious and health salad dressing.
How Do You Cook Steak in Cast Iron?
So, you can use any kind of steak for the salad that you want but I went with several small flat iron steaks. They cooked quickly and were incredibly tender. (check out TheKitchn.com for tips on how to choose the best steak for this strawberry salad recipe)
Marinate steaks at room temperature for about an hour. I went with a combination searing in cast iron and finishing in the oven method. Make sure you start with dry steaks (blot off excess marinade).
Once your steaks are dry, season with additional Citrus Herb seasoning. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit with the cast iron pan IN THE OVEN. Once it is hot, turn the stove top on high. Using an oven mitt and being very careful, place the hot cast iron pan on the stove top.
Add the steaks to the pan and cook 3 to 4 minutes on one side. Then, flip the steaks and put the cast iron pan in the oven for another 3 to 4 minutes. How long they cook really depends on how well done you want your steak in your strawberry steak salad. I prefer medium rare, myself.
Add The Remaining Healthy Salad Ingredients
The ingredients in this strawberry steak salad are flexible. I chose hard boiled eggs for additional protein and avocado slices for those healthy fats. Mixed greens are a healthy alternative to iceberg lettuce. You can substitute them for spinach, arugula, or whatever other type of micro greens you prefer.
Slice the fresh strawberries and scatter on top of the salad along with the slices of flank steak, avocado, and hard boiled egg. Don’t add your orange vinaigrette to the salad until right before you serve it. This healthy salad recipe is enough to feed 2 people as a side salad or one person as a main dish. It is easy enough to double or triple to serve a crowd.
Assemble Your Strawberry Salad
Once you have your steaks cooked, your homemade orange vinaigrette chilling, and your healthy salad ingredients prepped, it is time to assemble your salad. Make it as pretty as you want or just dump it all into a bowl. Cooked flank steak slices, fresh strawberries, sliced avocados, hard boiled eggs, and healthy greens go onto your serving dish. Then, shake the vinaigrette well to mix the ingredients. Pour over your salad and enjoy!
Strawberry Steak Salad With Orange Vinaigrette Dressing
This Steak Salad Recipe with Homemade Orange Vinaigrette Dressing is healthy and delicious. Lightly sweet from the balsamic vinegar, orange juice and honey, it uses avocado oil instead of olive oil. Topped with thinly sliced flank steak, avocados and slices of fresh strawberries, you will seriously want to eat this every day!
- FOR THE DRESSING
- 1/4 cup Tastefully Simple Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup Tastefully Simple avocado oil
- 1/2 cup Orange juice
- 2 TBSP Tastefully Simple citrus herb seasoning
- FOR THE SALAD
- 1 3 to 4 ounce flank steak
- 3 to 4 cups assorted greens
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced
- 1 hard boiled egg
- Assemble your dressing ingredients. Combine the avocado oil, balsamic vinegar, orange juice, honey and citrus herb seasoning in a glass bowl and whisk well. Remove about 1/2 a cup and place in a mason jar with lid in the refrigerator until you serve your salad.
- Marinate the flank steak in the remaining orange vinaigrette for one hour at room temperature or several hours in the fridge.
- To cook the steak: Preheat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit with a 12 inch cast iron pan inside. When oven is hot, place hot pan on a high heat burner.
- Pat off excess marinade from steak and season with additional citrus herb seasonings before placing in the hot pan. Sear for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn the steak over and place pan directly back into hot oven. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, depending on desired done-ness.
- Remove steak to a plate, tent with foil, and let sit 10 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- Assemble salad ingredients on plate. Lay down salad greens and top with sliced strawberries, sliced avocado, hard boiled egg, and strips of cooked flank steak.
- Shake mason jar of remaining marinade well and drizzle over top of your strawberry steak salad right before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 3034Total Fat: 188gSaturated Fat: 31gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 134gCholesterol: 463mgSodium: 1308mgCarbohydrates: 211gFiber: 103gSugar: 72gProtein: 168g
Nutrition information not always accurate
Enter to Win Tastefully Simple Ingredients
Tastefully Simple would like to offer one of my readers a chance to win the ingredients I used in my orange vinaigrette dressing recipe. Use the widget below to enter the content. If you win, you will receive:
- One bottle of Tastefully Simple Avocado Oil
- One bottle of Tastefully Simple Aged Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
- One container of Tastefully Simple Citrus Herb Blend
Don’t want to wait to see if you won to make your strawberry steak salad? Head over to the Tastefully Simple website and use code TCB15 for 15% off your next order! This code is effective from 3/1-3/31/20.
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.