The Super Bowl is coming up fast and to be honest, I don’t care all that much about what teams are playing! WHAT? Yes, it is true, I am not a huge football fan. I AM, however, a huge fan of Super Bowl snacks! To me, Super Bowl parties are all about the food, the commercials and spending time with friends. I love to serve finger foods, snacks, appetizers and nibbles during the big game that are full of flavor. Bold and spicy foods are a huge hit with my family so I usually add a bit of heat to just about all of our recipes. I don’t really like buying a lot of premade foods because I am never really sure what sort of stuff manufacturers put in them. If you are considering what type of Super Bowl snacks to serve your guests, I really recommend you whip out a cookbook and get creative in the kitchen rather than buying stuff premade.
While I am pretty capable in the kitchen, one thing I have always had trouble with was breads. I can do quick breads and muffins but if something calls for yeast and rising I start to panic! I was recently given the opportunity to try out Fleischmann’s RapidRise Yeast and while I was a little bit nervous, I forged on ahead determined to create this bread recipe. I chose this particular recipe because it looked very hearty and filling. I have a husband and teenager who probably eat more than most football players so I need something that will fill them up! It also look relatively easy and not horribly intimidating, which is a big plus! Fleischmann’s yeast is known for it’s quality and reliability and for giving at-home bakers confidence in their from-scratch recipes. They have some great info on the Fleischmann’s Yeast’s baking website if you are just as nervous as I am about making home made bread!
While the original recipe used bacon, I decided to try it out with spicy sausage to give it a little bit more of a kick. I also sprinkled some dried jalapenos on top from our garden….my family does love a little bit of heat in their food! Served with a zesty marinara sauce, these were delicious and would make great Super Bowl snacks!
Super Bowl Snacks
Spicy Sausage, Herb, and Cheese Snack Bread
45 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
1 hr, 15 Total Time
- 4-1/2 cups King Arthur® Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 envelopes Fleischmann’s® RapidRise Yeast
- 2 teaspoons Spice Islands® Italian Herb Seasoning (I also added dried jalapenos for an extra kick!)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded cheese blend (cheddar jack, cheddar mozzarella, etc…), divided
- 10 slices cooked bacon, coarsely chopped (I used 1 1/2 cup cooked crumbled sausage)
- Combine 1-1/2 cups flour, undissolved yeast, Italian herb seasoning, salt and garlic in a large mixer bowl. Heat water and oil until very warm (120° to 130°F); gradually add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add eggs and 1 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in 1 cup cheese and remaining flour to make a stiff batter. Spread batter on greased 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan or rimmed baking sheet with at least 1-inch sides. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; top with bacon. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until puffy, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375ºF for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Cover loosely with foil during last 5 to 10 minutes of baking if cheese begins to overbrown. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack. Serve as strips or squares, or slice and use for sandwiches.
- Topping Variation:
- Replace bacon with 1-1/2 ounces thinly sliced salami.
Disclaimer: I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for ACH. I received a promotional item as a thank-you for participating.