Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This blueberry pecan breakfast bar recipe is made with whole grain oats, nuts, honey, and a few other simple ingredients. These no bake bars are not only healthy; they are a delicious way to start the day!
Making a Healthy Breakfast Can Be Easy!
Morning comes very early in my house. 5:30 AM is not really my favorite time of day but being a busy mom means dragging myself out of bed at that time to greet the day. I want my kids to eat a healthy breakfast in the morning but finding something nutritious at that time of day that they actually want to eat is sometimes difficult.
This easy breakfast bar recipe makes a wonderful healthy breakfast because it includes things like protein rich nuts, high fiber grains and fresh blueberries that are loaded with antioxidants (if you are looking for more breakfast recipes, try my homemade cinnamon rolls!).
Not to mention the fact that my kids love blueberries! Drizzled with just a touch of yogurt glaze, your kids will happily grab this breakfast bar as they run out the door in the morning!
Why Fresh Blueberries?
Blueberries are incredibly nutritious and very versatile. They make eating a healthy breakfast very easy. While they are great to just snack on right out of the bowl, you can also bake with them, throw them on a salad, or include them in your diet in many other ways as well. I
If your New Year’s resolution is to eat healthier, blueberries can certainly help you achieve your goals. Eating a healthy breakfast, getting plenty of exercise, drinking more water, and eating a rainbow of colors are all easy ways to eat healthy this year.
Like this blueberry oatmeal breakfast bar recipe? Try these blueberry recipes, too:
- Fresh Blueberry Tart Recipe with Basil and Honey: I love homemade desserts and this fresh blueberry tart recipe with fresh blueberries was absolutely delicious.
- Lemon Blueberry Scones Recipe: This homemade scones recipe is easy to make and has a wonderful flavor.
- Lemon Blueberry Pancakes: The combination of lemon and blueberries is delicious and blueberry pancakes take only a few minutes to put together.
Are blueberries healthy?
Many people think that blueberries are only a summertime fruit but you can find them in your grocery store year round. Whether you choose them fresh in the produce isle, frozen, dried or even preserved at home, you should definitely be including more of these nutritious little berries in your diet. (So, make these breakfast bars often!)
They have just 80 calories and 3.6 grams of fiber per serving and will really add a nutritious punch to your recipes. Don’t know what to make with them? The U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council website hosts a variety of tips on how to make eating blueberries apart of your lifestyle as well as a slew of recipes in which you can incorporate blueberries, which can be found here.
Can you have too many blueberries? NOPE!
Personally, I like to stock up on Georgia blueberries in the summer and then freeze, dry, or dehydrate as many as I can. That way, it’s easy to throw a handful or two into whatever I happen to be baking.
But, I have also been known to buy a few pints and just leave them in a bowl on the counter. You would be amazed at how quickly they disappear as soon as the children discover them!
How do you dry blueberries in the oven for these breakfast bars?
I included simple directions on how to dry your blueberries in the oven to use in this no bake breakfast bar recipe. It doesn’t take long and the blueberries really give this breakfast bar recipe a delicious flavor and sweetness!
They don’t really need to be ‘dry’ for this recipe….just some of the juice removed and a tad bit less plump! Here are the basic directions for drying blueberries for this recipe:
- Rinse your blueberries in cold water. Let them air dry or pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Spread the blueberries on a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Preheat your oven to 225 degrees.
- Bake your fresh blueberries in the oven for 2 to 3 hours at 225 degrees. (more for really DRY berries, less to just remove some of the liquid before using them in this recipe.
- Remove and cool the berries before placing them in an airtight container. Use the in this breakfast bar recipe whenever the mood strikes!
Blueberry Breakfast Bars with Pecans
These Blueberry Breakfast Bars with Pecans are a healthy and portable breakfast that is full of nutritious ingredients.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1½ cup puffed brown rice
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1¼ cup fresh blueberries or ¾ cup dried blueberries
- FOR GLAZE
- 2 to 3 TBSP vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- To dry blueberries in the oven: Place 1 rounded cup of fresh blueberries onto a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until popped and most of the juices have evaporated.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, puffed rice, coconut, pecans, flax seeds and salt. Mix to combine.
- Add in the peanutbutter and the honey, mix thoroughly.
- Add blueberries and mix just until combined.
- Press into a 13 x 9 inch pan lined with parchment paper.
- Place in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove bars from freezer and cut into squares
- MAKE GLAZE:
- Combine powdered sugar and yogurt. Stir til smooth. Drizzle over bars and let dry several hours.
- Store bars in the refrigerator in a sealed container.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 335Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 129mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 4gSugar: 33gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information not always accurate
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.
5 thoughts on “Blueberry Pecan Breakfast Bar Recipe”
It does look really good. I need someone to make this for me, I never have the time to make it myself!
These look delicious. I love blueberries and recipes with whole ingredients so this is definitely one that I want to try!
That sounds fabulous! I love blueberries so this would work great.
Blueberries have a knack for disappearing at my house, too. With a recipe this yummy, there definitely won’t be any left!
I love blueberries and the kids devour them. I have to buy some extras to try this.