As the holiday season approaches, it’s the perfect time to start decorating with fresh cranberries. These little crimson gems, often associated with traditional cranberry sauce, have a versatile and enchanting quality that can transform your home into a festive wonderland.
Whether you’re hosting a gathering of loved ones, looking to spruce up your holiday decor, or simply wanting to celebrate the season, cranberries offer a delightful and naturally beautiful way to do just that.
From elegant table settings to whimsical cranberry garlands, these berry-inspired decor suggestions will not only add a pop of color but also infuse your surroundings with the spirit of the holidays.
Skip the mass-produced Christmas decoration aisle at your local department store. Here are a few creative ways to turn your living space into a festive sanctuary by decorating with cranberries this fall.
Table of Contents
Cranberry Decor Ideas
Are you looking for unique Christmas decorations? Here are a few ways to use fresh cranberries inside to give your home a bit of holiday cheer. If you want to try dried or frozen cranberries, I will give a few tips below that might help.
Cranberry Ice Cubes:
Freeze cranberries in an ice cube tray with just enough water to cover them to add a pop of color to your beverages. You could also make these in bulk and put them in an ice bucket to chill a bottle or two of nice wine. This is a simple way to create a festive table during the holidays.
Cranberry Wall Art:
Make your own framed cranberry art by gluing cranberries in a decorative pattern on a canvas or wooden board. Use other natural elements like holly leaves, small ornaments, and pine greenery to give it a festive look.
Create a stunning holiday centerpiece by placing fresh cranberries in glass vases with water and floating candles. Set them on square mirror plates and surround them with flowers for an elegant look to your holiday decor. Here are a few tips to make your glass vase centerpiece really stand out:
Materials and tools you’ll need:
- A clear glass jar or a cylinder-shaped glass vase
- Cranberries (the amount will depend on the vase size).
- Floating candles
- Small fresh pine branches if desired
- Choose your vase: Select a clear glass vase or jar that suits your table’s theme or the occasion.
- Prepare the cranberries: Rinse the cranberries thoroughly under cold water. This helps remove any debris or dirt.
- Optional: Add small, flexible pine trimmings into the bottom of the jar.
- Add water: Pour water into the container, filling it almost full.
- Add cranberries: Float cranberries in the water. The amount will depend on the size of the container.
- Add a candle: A floating candle works best for this project. White candles stand out nicely against the red berries.
- Display: Place your finished Christmas decor on your table or chosen location. Be sure to keep an eye on the water level and don’t leave the lit candle unattended. Add more fresh water if needed as evaporation occurs.
Your cranberry centerpiece will enhance your table’s decor and add a festive touch to your event. Add a bit of artificial snow, some mini trees, silver ornaments, or other seasonal items to create a truly beautiful Christmas table. Get more Christmas Candle Decorating Ideas on Suburbia Unwrapped.
Make a DIY Cranberry Garland:
Looking for old-fashioned ways of decorating with fresh cranberries? Cranberry garlands have been around for a long time! String fresh cranberries on a thread to make a festive garland to hang on your Christmas tree or around the house. Here is how to make a cranberry garland:
Materials and tools you’ll need:
- Fresh cranberries
- Thread or fishing line (You will need a long string to do an entire Christmas tree!)
- Freshly popped popcorn
- Prepare your cranberries: Just like the centerpiece, begin by rinsing the cranberries under cold water to remove any debris or dirt. Dry them off well.
- Thread the needle: Thread your needle with a length of thread or fishing line. The length would depend on how long you want your garland to be.
- Start stringing: Carefully thread cranberries onto the string using the needle. Alternate threading popcorn onto the string between cranberries.
- Create your garland: Continue stringing cranberries until you’ve reached your desired garland length.
- Secure the ends: Once you have finished, tie a knot at both ends of the string to prevent everything from slipping off.
- Display: Drape your homemade garland around your Christmas tree, over doorways, or along your mantel.
Remember, cranberry garlands should be made close to when you want to display them as the berries can shrivel or rot if left out too long. Your homemade cranberry garland will add a vibrant burst of color to your Christmas decor. Cranberry garlands make great mantel decorations.
Attach cranberries to a foam wreath base with toothpicks or hot glue for a colorful and natural Christmas wreath. You can add pine branches, fake flowers, holy bush trimmings, and other seasonal items if desired.
Scatter Cranberries On Your Table Runner:
Scatter fresh berries along the center of your dining table as a beautiful and edible table runner. Elevate the look by using a simple cloth table runner and adding candles, vases of flowers, and a scattering of cranberries to finish off the look.
Cranberry Candle Holders:
This is one of the easiest ways I have found to start decorating with fresh cranberries. There is very little work involved, which I love! Fill glass candle holders with cranberries to surround your candles for a vibrant, seasonal display. You can also just fill a flat bowl or plate with fresh cranberries and add a candle in the center instead of using actual candle holders.
Cranberry Place Cards:
Use cranberries to create unique place cards for your dinner guests. This is a simple and inexpensive way to give an elegant look to your holiday table settings. Check out my DIY Cranberry Wreath Place Cards for directions.
Fresh Cranberry Potpourri:
Create fragrant potpourri by mixing cranberries with orange peels, cinnamon sticks, and cloves, then place it in decorative bowls around your home. You can add a few drops of fall-scented essential oils if desired. Check out Fabulous Frannie 100% Pure Essential Oil Fall Set.
How long will cranberries last as decorations?
When decorating with fresh cranberries, keep in mind that they don’t last forever. Cranberries can last as decorations for about one to two weeks at room temperature, provided they are kept away from heat and moisture. However, their longevity can be extended up to a month if they are refrigerated.
For outdoor decorations, they may not last as long due to exposure to elements. It’s also important to note that once cranberries shrivel or become soft, they should be replaced to prevent them from spoiling your decorations.
So, as you embark on your cranberry-inspired decorating adventure, let your creativity flourish, your home sparkle, and your gatherings be infused with the spirit of the holidays. Just remember, once you’ve enjoyed the visual beauty of cranberries, it’s time to bid them farewell and, if possible, compost them, ensuring their journey continues as a part of nature’s cycle. Happy decorating and joyful festivities!
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.