This healthy snack ideas recipe is made possible with a cookbook I received at no charge for review. All opinions expressed here are my own.
Summer vacation has been a lot of fun here in my house. Lots of swimming at the pool, camps for the kids, and weekends spent lounging. With my teenagers at home all day I am pretty sure the phrase I hear most often is ‘What can I have to eat?’ My son is 13 and 6 feet tall. He is as skinny as a string bean and has an incredible metabolism. That boy eats like a linebacker from the time he wakes up in the morning until bedtime. I am constantly looking for healthy snack ideas so I don’t find him with his hand in the chip bag or cookie bin every 2 hours. These trail mix cups require NO BAKING which is awesome since it is about a thousand degrees outside here in Georgia. They are chock full of healthy ingredients and I am happy to find him eating one or four when he heads into the kitchen to graze. If you are looking for more healthy snack ideas or need some more recipe that require no baking or cooking I recommend you check out my recent cookbook review for The No Cook No Bake Cookbook. It is loaded with easy recipes like this one that are healthy and easy to make but require no cooking at all.
Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links.
Note: You can make these little snacks by pressing the mixture into small muffin tins or just pressing it together and rolling it into a ball. I tried both ways with success.
Trail Mix Cups
(Recipe Reprinted with Permission)
- 11/4 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 cup unsalted raw or roasted almonds
- 1/2 cup unsalted raw or roasted cashews
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 1/3 cup unsalted shelled raw or roasted
- sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds or chia seeds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup unsalted almond butter or unsalted natural peanut butter
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Add the oats, dates, almonds, cashews, cranberries or cherries, sunflower seeds, hemp or chia seeds, flaxseed, and salt to a food processor container, and process until the oats and nuts are pulverized. Add the chocolate, honey, almond or peanut butter, orange zest, and almond extract, and process until the mixture clumps together.
- Divide the mixture among 12 greased or paper-lined standard-size muffin cups, and press down firmly to pack in the contents. Place the tray in the freezer for about 30 minutes to harden up. Unmold the cups and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Have any healthy snack ideas you would like to share?
Leave me a comment!
Disclaimer: In accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials.”: I received one copy of the cookbook mentioned in this post in exchange for my honest review. I received no monetary compensation. All opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone. Some of the links in this post may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.
✯Don’t want to miss the next post?✯
Or join the private Facebook group for simple tips on going green!
Diane has a Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology with a Minor in Health Management and Policy. She spent many years working in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging as a way to share this knowledge with others. While passionate about health and the environment she can’t quite give up her favorite Cheetos and Diet Coke! Learn more about her HERE.