Making homemade ice cream isn’t something I do very often. However, it is a delicious summer dessert that just NEEDS to be made at least once when the weather is hot! Cherry ice cream is one of my favorites and adding chocolate chips is an absolute must. This homemade cherry ice cream recipe is easy to make and will be a big hit with both kids and adults! If you are looking for cherry recipes this summer, try this one!
Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links.
Tips for Making Homemade Ice Cream
Want to make homemade ice cream but aren’t sure where to start? Here are a few tips that will help you create the best ice cream you have ever tasted! Want more flavor variations? Try my easy vanilla ice cream if cherries aren’t your thing.
- Invest in a high quality ice cream maker. Seriously…. I have tried the cheap ones and they are not worth the money you save! However, you can still make ice cream at home without an ice cream maker. It just takes a bit more time and effort.
- To keep your ice cream from absorbing odors or getting freezer burn, use a container with a tight-fitting lid. For extra security, place a layer of plastic wrap between your ice cream and the lid. Or, buy reusable ice cream storage containers. They make storing homemade ice cream much easier.
- Ingredients matter. Buy real cream, pasture raised eggs, and high quality flavorings. You will notice cheap ingredients in your final product. I used Cherry Concentrate and Vanilla Bean Paste and this cherry ice cream has a wonderful flavor.
- Is your homemade ice cream icy? This is probably the most common problem with home made ice cream. It’s caused by large ice crystals forming in the mixture as it freezes. This is usually the result of either too much water in the mix or taking too long to freeze.
Homemade Cherry Ice Cream Recipe
This homemade cherry ice cream recipe is easy to make and an easy summer dessert recipe for refreshing hot weather snacking! Of course, if you have excess cherry concentrate left over, make my tart cherry moon milk to relax this weekend.
More Fruit Dessert Recipes to Try
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 ounces cherry preserves
- 2 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
- 4 TBSP Cherry Concentrate
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used regular sized but I would recommend the minis if you can get them)
- In a bowl, combine sugar, milk and preserves.
- Stir until sugar starts to dissolve.
- Add heavy cream, vanilla and cherry concentrate.
- Stir until well blended and sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add in chocolate chips and stir. They will sink but as you stir the mixture while it freezes they will mix in better.
- Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions in your ice cream machine.
Serving Size:1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 498Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 52mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 1gSugar: 39gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information not always accurate
Diane has a Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology with a Minor in Health Management and Policy. She spent many years working in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging as a way to share this knowledge with others. While passionate about health and the environment she can’t quite give up her favorite Cheetos and Diet Coke! Learn more about her HERE.