About a week or so ago, Publix had their Smuckers jam and preserves on sale Buy One Get One Free. I am all about taking advantage of sales so I stocked up and got about 8 jars! I decided to use some of it up in this very simple bar cookie recipe. I love bar cookies because I am a very lazy cook and can just dump it all in a pan and forget about it instead of dropping 4 dozen little cookie balls on sheets! You can use whatever type of jam is your favorite…my kids love blueberry so that is what I decided to go with.
Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links.
These bars came out a little on the soft side but I also couldn’t wait til they were completely cool to cut them…they just smelled too good! Served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top they were just heavenly! I sprinkled with toasted, ground hazelnuts just because I was bored and it sounded like a good idea!
Blueberry Oatmeal Cookie Bars
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup blueberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 inch square pan and line with greased foil or parchment paper.
2. Combine brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, nuts and rolled oats. Mix in the butter to form a crumbly mixture.
✯Don’t want to miss the next post?✯
Or join the private Facebook group for simple tips on going green!
3. Press 2 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
4. Spread the jam to within 1/4 inch of the edge.
5. Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top and lightly press it into the jam.
6. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in preheated oven, or until lightly browned.
7. Allow to cool before cutting into bars.
Diane has a Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology with a Minor in Health Management and Policy. She spent many years working in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging as a way to share this knowledge with others. While passionate about health and the environment she can’t quite give up her favorite Cheetos and Diet Coke! Learn more about her HERE.