Love sweet and sour sauce? It is a great addition to your favorite meatball recipe! This homemade sweet and sauce meatballs recipe can be an appetizer or part of your main dish. Serve with cubes of fresh pineapple and bell pepper for a tangy crunch.
Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links.
Tips for Making Homemade Meatballs
Making homemade meatballs is quick and easy. Honestly, it’s just meat, some sort of binder, and some seasonings. But, you can get as crazy as you want with your meatball recipe. Change up the type of meat. Add weird seasonings. Make them gluten free if you need to. Meatballs freeze really well so make up a huge batch and freeze them back. Then, just toss into your homemade sweet and sour sauce and dinner is ready! Here are a few tips for making homemade meatballs:
- Pick the right meats. Fattier meats like beef, lamb, and pork will make your homemade meatballs more tender.
- Keep things cold. The warmer your meat and ingredient, the messier the process of making meatballs becomes.
- Add moisture. This can be water or bullion, depending on what you have on hand.
- Be gentle when forming the meatballs! Do not pack them too tightly.
- Bake, not fry. Frying meatballs is a huge mess and unnecessary. Bake your homemade meatballs in the oven instead.
How to Make Homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce
This quick and easy sweet and sour sauce takes 5 ingredients and comes together in just 5 minutes. It is really just as easy as heating a few ingredients on the stove. This healthier version of your favorite takeout condiment will last a week or so in the refrigerator. Sweet and sour is a very popular sauce in Chinese cuisine, however, it is great on homemade meatballs as well!
✯Don’t want to miss the next post?✯
Or join the private Facebook group for simple tips on going green!
More Ground Beef Recipes
- Easy Shepherd’s Pie Recipe with Leeks
- Creamy Spaghetti Casserole Recipe
- Easy Layered Taco Pie Recipe
Homemade Sweet and Sour Meatballs Recipe
This is such an easy recipe to make and it is a great party food! If you want bite sized appetizers, stick a small meatball (covered in sauce) and a bite of bell pepper on a toothpick and sprinkle with fresh parsley. If you like this sweet and sour meatballs recipe, remember to double it and freeze them for next time!
- SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 TBSP cornstarch
- MEATBALL INGREDIENTS
- 3/4 pound of ground beef
- 3/4 pound of ground pork
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 4 tsp instant bouillon
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (shredded)bell pepper (sliced into bite sized pieces if desired)
- FOR THE SAUCE
- Combine all the ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat. Cook and stir until thick. Keep warm until you need it.
- FOR THE MEATBALLS
- Mix all ingredients and roll into 1 1/2 inch meatballs.
- Place on cookie sheets (with sides to catch overflow) and bake at 350 degrees until done (20 to 30 minutes, depending on meatball size).
- Put in sauce or onto toothpick to serve.
- Add a bit of bell pepper and cubes of pineapple if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 814Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 274mgSodium: 1425mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 30gProtein: 56g
Nutrition information not always accurate
Diane has a Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology with a Minor in Health Management and Policy. She spent many years working in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging as a way to share this knowledge with others. While passionate about health and the environment she can’t quite give up her favorite Cheetos and Diet Coke! Learn more about her HERE.