I spent almost 15 years working in a retail pharmacy and it broke my heart every time someone told me they couldn’t afford their medications Healthcare is so very important but there are many people that struggle with rising medical bills and are looking for any way they can to save money at the pharmacy. Medications are not generally cheap but there are a lot of ways that you can cut your pharmacy bills. If you find yourself spending a fortune for your medicine every month, here are just a few ways that you can start saving a little bit of money!
Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links.
How to Save Money at the Pharmacy
1. Stick to generics whenever possible. Brand name medications cost significantly more and do the exact same thing. Ask your doctor which medications will work for your health problems and which of those have generic alternatives. Many times a doctor has more than one option for treatment and will not always choose the generic drug.
2. Skip the combination drugs. If your medication is actually a combination of TWO drugs…ask your doctor to write you prescriptions for those two medications separately. Quite often you will spend a lot less money for two pills than you would for only one. The combination drug is usually just for convenience. I would rather save myself some money and take 2 pills instead!
3. Go online. Check the manufacturer’s websites. You may find coupons and rebate programs available for the drug you happen to be on.
4. Ask your pharmacist to check for discounts: Often times drug reps stop by the pharmacy and leave discount cards and rebates with them. Ask if your medicine happens to have one available. Ask your doctors the same question. They also get a number of discount cards and coupons from drug reps.
5. Ask your store about their discounted generic programs and store loyalty cards. Many generic medications are on store’s discounted list and just by signing up for their pharmacy program you can get a discounted price on your generic medications. Signup is usually free or very inexpensive. These discounted drug lists do change periodically based on customer usage and other factors.
✯Don’t want to miss the next post?✯
Or join the private Facebook group for simple tips on going green!
Have you found other ways to save money at the pharmacy?
Diane has a Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology with a Minor in Health Management and Policy. She spent many years working in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging as a way to share this knowledge with others. While passionate about health and the environment she can’t quite give up her favorite Cheetos and Diet Coke! Learn more about her HERE.