Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Thai cabbage rolls are filled with ground beef, rice and an assortment of Thai flavors. Homemade cabbage rolls can be made vegetarian using tofu or any of the ground beef alternatives. Serve them with my spicy Thai peanut dipping sauce and enjoy!
A Cabbage Recipe Your Kids Will Love!
Cool weather means the disappearance of many of my favorite summer veggies. Gone is the corn on the cob, bright heirloom tomatoes, and local green beans. Rather than choosing non local vegetables, I am trying to embrace a few of the cool weather produce items instead.
This isn’t always easy….cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and winter squash are not always well received by my kids. I came across a recipe for vegetable cabbage rolls using tofu and a few Thai spices that I thought sounded promising.
These Thai beef cabbage wraps use lean ground beef, rice and an assortment of Thai flavors. I think they came out delicious and will definitely be making them again.
✯Don’t want to miss the next post?✯
Or join the private Facebook group for simple tips on going green!
What is the best type of cabbage for cabbage rolls?
If you are wondering how to bring winter produce into your kitchen, these cabbage rolls are just one of many ways to do it. You can use just about any cabbage leaves for making cabbage rolls. Savoy cabbage is usually recommended and you will have to par boil it before wrapping.
More Thai inspired recipes:
- Thai Omelet Soup Recipe with Tomatoes, Onion and Scallion: An easy Thai soup recipe for busy weeknight meals.
- Lemongrass and Ginger Jelly Recipe (no canning required!) Fresh lemongrass and ginger are a delicious combination in homemade jelly!
- Spicy Thai Peanut Sauce Recipe Perfect for spring rolls, homemade Pad Thai, or even drizzled over a salad.
Homemade Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- 1 medium cabbage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 2 cups cooked rice
- chopped green onions for garnish
- 1 cup Thai peanut sauce optional
- Blanch cabbage leaves: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a pinch of salt, working one at a time submerge each cabbage leaf in the boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes (until just becoming translucent). Remove from boiling water and plunge into a bowl of ice water for 10 to 15 seconds. Remove and lay on a clean towel to drain.
- In a large saute pan heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook ground beef until most of the pink is gone. Drain if necessary. Add onion, shredded carrots, garlic and ginger to the ground beef and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Onto each cabbage leaf spread 2 TBSP peanut sauce and place 1/2 cup beef mixture onto leaf. Roll up, tucking ends in.
- To serve, place a cabbage roll on a plate with a small side of peanut sauce. Top cabbage roll with additional shredded carrot for garnish if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 456Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 724mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 26g
Nutrition information not always accurate
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.