I was provided with one or more of the products shown in this creamy tomato soup with basil recipe for review purposes but all opinions expressed are my own.
This quick and easy creamy tomato basil soup is what I crave when I’m not feeling well, stressed out, or just want a bit of “yum” in my day? My comfort food has always been a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup. In fact, I think I ate that meal almost every single day for my second pregnancy. Other foods did not appeal to me at all but a gooey grilled cheese sandwich and a can of tomato soup hit the spot. This easy tomato soup recipe is creamy comfort food loaded with canned tomatoes and plenty of garlic, basil, and onion (Try adding a dollop of fresh homemade basil pesto for a bold, delicious flavor!).
This tomato basil soup recipe has no cream!
While I have been known to buy tomato soup in a can from the grocery store on occasion, I have also made my own many times as well. However, most of my tomato soup recipes require dairy. The fat from whole cream just gives tomato soup an amazing taste and mouth feel.
While I love cream, I don’t always have it in the house. If you don’t, replace the dairy in this tomato soup recipe with full fat coconut milk. Low and behold, you have a delicious tomato soup that is dairy free! I started with canned tomatoes since that is all I currently have on hand but during the summer if you have a bumper crop of tomatoes you can make it from fresh ones, too.
How do you make tomato soup from scratch?
Making tomato soup from scratch is easy. All you need is a large pot for simmering your homemade soup in and a few simple ingredients. I always start with fresh onion and plenty of garlic, basil and other spices. Canned tomatoes make up the base of this easy soup because that is what I always have on hand.
Like this Creamy Tomato Soup with Basil recipe? Try these homemade soups, too:
- Middle Eastern Inspired Pureed Vegetable Soup Recipe : This pureed vegetable soup recipe is loaded with healthy vegetables and made creamy with the addition of coconut milk.
- Vegan Creamy Carrot Soup Recipe with Curry and Coconut Milk: Loaded with fresh carrots and flavored with curry powder, you will love the flavor of this homemade carrot soup!
- Easy Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe If you love your baked potatoes loaded with cheese, bacon, and green onions, this soup recipe will hit the spot.
You can simmer your soup ingredients in chicken stock, however, if you want a vegetarian tomato soup, go with vegetable stock instead. Saute everything in olive oil before adding the stock. If you want to balance out the tartness of the tomatoes, add a pinch of sugar before serving. Or, simmer your tomatoes with a few small chunks of apple. Sounds weird but it works!
Creamy Tomato Soup with Basil
Creamy Tomato Soup with Basil
This creamy tomato soup with basil starts with canned tomatoes and lots of garlic and basil. Made creamy by adding coconut milk for a vegan option.
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can of tomatoes (diced or stewed)
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 (6 ounce) can of tomato paste
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 TBSP Gourmet Gardens Basil Paste (or dried/fresh depending on what you have)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium heat
- Saute onions for 5 minutes or until wilted and translucent
- Add the minced garlic and saute 1 to 2 minutes
- Pour in the tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Add the stock
- Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook 5 minutes
- In batches, blend the soup in a blender or food processor. Be careful! IT IS HOT!
- Put the blended soup back into a pot and add the coconut milk, salt and pepper. Heat 2 to 3 more minutes and serve!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 139Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 280mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information not always accurate
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.
6 thoughts on “Creamy Tomato Soup with Basil”
Looks great! Love a tasty tomato soup. 🙂 Glad you are enjoying those Gourmet Garden herbs….I just love them!
So nice to have that fresh flavor just waiting in my fridge!
I love tomato soup. It’s one of my favorites.
This really had an amazingly fresh flavor…unlike the canned varieties!
I’ve been craving desperately a healthy version of tomato soup. I’ve have been looking at whole foods and they all are creamy, I assume that isn’t like my favorite well known plain old tomato soup. Any I’ve made seem more like watered down spaghetti sauce, I wonder if this could be the recipe I need to make? !!!! Looks and sounds delish! It is so cold we need this comfort food!! and all that yummy goodness!
I love tomato soup and eating this version is a lot healthier and incredibly easy to make!