Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links.
If you love your baked potatoes loaded with cheese, bacon, and green onions, this soup recipe will hit the spot. This creamy soup is incredibly hearty and filling, with loads of flavor. You can make this easy loaded baked potato soup recipe with heavy cream if you want it even richer. I used half and half which is plenty creamy for my liking. Serve this soup with homemade bread and it is a perfect meal for a chilly winter night.
How do you make a creamy potato soup?
In my opinion, nothing makes a creamy potato soup with the perfect mouth feel besides real cream or half and half. I know I have tried several low fat cream soup recipes without much luck. If you really want to cut the fat in this soup, try replacing part of the half and half with evaporated milk. It won’t taste quite the same, though. Some days it pays to splurge a bit on fat and calories. And this loaded baked potato soup recipe is definitely a calorie splurge!
More Soup Recipes to Try
- Quick and Easy Egg Drop Soup Recipe
- Fresh Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
- Easy Homemade Tomato Soup Recipe with Grilled Cheese Croutons
How can you spice up your potato soup?
If you find that your broth isn’t as flavorful as you want, you can add a few additional seasonings. I recommend adding things like Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, allspice, celery seed, thyme, seasoning salt, dry white wine, or cayenne pepper. Personally, I think just using some of the bacon drippings to cook the onions gives this easy loaded baked potato soup recipe plenty of flavor Looking for more potato recipes? Check out these crockpot potato recipes for inspiration.
✯Don’t want to miss the next post?✯
Or join the private Facebook group for simple tips on going green!
Easy Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe
I choose to make this loaded baked potato soup recipe without sour cream on top. I kindof think there is enough stuff in there without adding sour cream to it. You can make this baked potato soup with ham if you prefer that to the flavor of bacon. Just dice it up small and follow the same directions.
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 baked potatoes, (just the inside...scooped out of the skin)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Shredded Cheddar cheese (for topping)
- chopped green onions (for topping)
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Chop into bite sized pieces and set bacon aside.
- Saute onion and garlic in the drippings until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, basil and pepper; mix well. Gradually add broth. Bring to boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cream; heat through but do not boil.
- Place in large bowls and garnish with bacon, cheese, and green onions.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 396Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 1845mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 16g
Nutrition information not always accurate
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.