Looking for recipes that use green tomatoes? This green tomato toast recipe was a delicious way to use up unripened tomatoes. Make this goat cheese toast with plump green tomatoes, plenty of fresh herbs, and some slivered red onion.
Tips for making goat cheese toast
Goat cheese toast is easy to make and a deliciously flavorful lunch recipe. Check out my goat cheese toast appetizer recipe if you want more ways to serve it. Making goat cheese toast? Here are a few tips:
- Use a whole grain bread. Loads of seeds and a chewy crust give this goat cheese sandwich an upscale feel.
- Warm your goat cheese to room temperature. It will spread much easier than if you use cold cold cheese.
- Choose any herb you want! I used oregano but this is completely up to you. Dill or basil would also be good if you have those in your backyard herb garden.
- Fresh herbs are great but not required. If you don’t have fresh herbs, use dried instead.
- Go with a coarsely ground black pepper. It gives a rustic look to your finished product.
- Use red onion for a milder flavor. White and yellow onions tend to have a much sharper flavor and are better cooked.
What to do with green tomatoes
Green tomatoes should never be thrown away! I received some recently in my shipment from Misfit Market, which is an ugly produce subscription box. I was so excited to see them! There are a ton of ways to use green tomatoes including my grandmother’s green tomato mincemeat, which is divine. Since I only had TWO green tomatoes, I had to think smaller. You can make several goat cheese toast sandwiches with only one green tomato!
If you are wondering what else to do with green tomatoes, you can try one of these ideas, too:
- Pickle them. Green tomatoes are fairly firm hold up well in a vinegar brine.
- Turn them into green tomato jam.
- Toss them into sauces and stews. If you are tossing in carrots and potatoes, just throw in a few chunks of green tomatoes, too.
- Bake them in a gratin. Check out The Food Network for the recipe.
- Make green tomato pasta sauce. Yes, you can make green tomato sauce just like you would a red tomato.
Green Tomato Toast ingredients
The ingredients in this goat cheese toast are very simple. Remember, flavor comes with freshness and quality so don’t skimp on those! I choose an herbed goat cheese from a small dairy in Vermont, fresh herbs from my garden, and an organic, whole grain bread.
- Goat cheese: You only need a few tablespoons per sandwich so don’t buy a ton.
- 1 to 2 green tomatoes
- Fresh oregano. Snip about 3 to 4 small sprigs. Chop if desired. You can also use just about any other fresh herb you want.
- Red onion. Make sure you slice them small and use tiny slivers.
- Salt and pepper. I used Himalayan pink salt and coarsely ground pepper.
- Whole grain bread of your choice.
Looking for more creative ways to use garden produce?
I am a huge fan of finding food as locally as possible. And you can’t get much more local than your own back yard. So, want more creative ways to use up garden produce? Try a few of these unique produce recipes:
- German Cucumber Salad Recipe – Gurkensalat German cucumber salad is a low carb, healthy side dish that takes only a few minutes to make. Gurkensalat is basically just thinly sliced cucumbers and onions with fresh dill in a simple oil and vinegar mix.
- Simple Carrot Top Pesto Recipe This simple carrot top pesto recipe is a delicious way to use every part of the carrot! With loads of carrot greens and a handful of fresh basil, this homemade pesto has a fresh flavor and takes only minutes to make.
- Easy Zucchini Carrot Slaw Recipe This easy coleslaw recipe is made with zucchini and carrots. It’s a great way to use up too many zucchini.
Green Tomato Toast Recipe with Goat Cheese
Tired of plain old fried green tomatoes? Try this easy raw tomato recipe instead. Just slice the green tomatoes and red onion. Chop your favorite fresh herbs. Toast some whole grain bread slices. On each slice of bread, spread softened herbed goat cheese. Then, top with tomatoes, onion slivers, and herbs. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simple and delicious!
Green Tomato Toast Recipe with Goat Cheese
Looking for green tomato recipes that use raw green tomatoes? Look no further! This green tomato toast recipe with goat cheese is an easy sandwich recipe!
- 1 large green tomato, sliced thin
- 2 to 3 TBSP red onion, sliced
- 1 handful fresh oregano, or herbs of choice
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 2 to 4 ounces goat cheese, softened
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Toast bread to desired done-ness
- Spread with softened goat cheese
- Layer green tomato slices on top
- Top with red onion slices
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 501Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 979mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 16gSugar: 8gProtein: 30g
Nutrition information not always accurate
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.