Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links.
This is an easy Turkey Enchiladas Recipe that is great for after Thanksgiving with leftover turkey. The turkey and vegetable filling is rolled in flour tortillas and baked with a cheesy cream sauce and spicy Rotelle tomatoes.
Tips for Making Homemade Enchiladas
These homemade enchiladas are truly a delicious meal and a great way to use up leftover turkey. If you don’t have leftover turkey, you can use leftover chicken instead. However, there are a few things to keep in mind as you make them:
- You control the heat levels. Want this Turkey Enchiladas Recipe totally mild? Use canned tomatoes without the jalapenos. Want them super spicy? Add fresh, diced jalapenos in addition to the Rotelle.
- This is not a low fat meal so don’t try to make it one. Low fat cheese and low fat canned soups are nowhere near as good as the real thing. Splurge a little bit.
- Choose organic when you can. There are great options out there nowadays for creamed soups. Many of them are organic. Sure, they still aren’t healthy exactly, however, they are better than most mass marketed canned soups.
- This is a messy process. Filling and rolling flour tortillas is messy. Embrace it. Clean up the mess later after a good meal.
Flour Tortillas vs Corn Tortillas
I have seen dozens of recipes for homemade enchiladas. Some use flour tortillas while some use corn tortillas. Personally, I don’t really care for corn tortillas when making enchiladas. I find that they fall apart way too easily and require far too much prep work. You can play around with both types if you prefer. If you are really ambitious, check out Five Heart Home for a homemade flour tortilla recipe.
Like this creamy turkey enchilada recipe? Try these Mexican recipes, too!
- Easy Mexican Corn Dip Recipe with Sweet Corn
- Churro Style Tortillas with Mexican Chocolate Dipping Sauce
- Easy Taco Pizza Recipe For A Simple Dinner Idea
✯Don’t want to miss the next post?✯
Or join the private Facebook group for simple tips on going green!
Creamy Turkey Enchiladas Recipe
These creamy turkey enchiladas are filled with leftover turkey, loads of flavor, and topped with a cheesy white sauce.
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 onion -- chopped
- 2 cups cooked and chopped turkey
- 1 can Rotelle -- (reserve some or use a second can (drained) for the top!)
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 bell pepper -- chopped
1. Melt butter in pan
2. Saute onion and bell pepper 3-4 minutes
3. Add meat and Rotelle. Cook 3-4 more minutes
4. In a bowl, mix cream of chicken soup and sour cream til combined
5. Put 1/4 cup of soup mix into meat and vegies and mix well.
6. In 13x9 inch pan spread 1/2 cup of soup mixture on bottom.
7. Spread about 1/3 cup of meat and vegies into a flour tortilla. Roll and put seam side down in pan. Repeat until pan is full
8. Pour remaining soup mix over tortillas and cover with cheese and additional Rotelle if desired.
9. Bake at 350 for approximately 30 minutes
10. Remove from heat and let cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Add additional fresh jalapeno if you want them spicier.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 605Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 1284mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 30g
Nutrition information not always accurate
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.