A few years ago, my husband and I were on a motorcycle ride up to The Highlands of North Carolina. We stopped at a restaurant called Ruka’s Table and enjoyed the most delicious teriyaki pork belly recipe my mouth has ever tasted. It was a farm to table restaurant, which we absolutely LOVE to find on our trips. That was my first experience with pork belly, having grown up in New England where such a thing just is not on the menu. It was basically fried pork belly on baby greens and was delicious.
Fast forward a few years and my friendly local farmer tells me he has pork belly for sale at our recent meat pickup. I was thrilled. I started looking for easy pork belly recipes and was amazed at how many I came across. This pork belly recipe was honestly the most delicious thing I have created in a LONG time! If you love the flavor of teriyaki and want to try a meatless dish, try my Asian quinoa recipe!
Table of Contents
What is Pork Belly?
So, you are probably wondering exactly ” what is pork belly ?” right? It is NOT the stomach of a pig! Pork belly is very popular in many Chinese recipes.It is a boneless cut of fatty meat from the belly of a pig. A cut of meat like this is often used to make bacon or to make the salt pork that I use in my homemade baked beans. You need to render out a lot of the fat before using it.
Like this teriyaki pork belly recipe? Try these pork recipes, too!
- BBQ Pulled Pork Taco Recipe with Pineapple Coleslaw If you are planning a Cinco de Mayo celebration or are a fan of Taco Tuesday, try getting creative with your cuisine and make this pulled pork taco recipe.
- Home Made Shake and Bake Recipe Make pork chops at home with a homemade shake and bake recipe! Moist, flavorful, and delicious!
- Home Made Sweet and Sour Meatballs Recipe: Uses both ground pork and ground beef along with a homemade sweet and sour sauce.
Score the meat and cook it in a frying pan low and slow for a while. Start it out in a cold cast iron frying pan. The amount of time you will have to cook it depends on the thickness and fat content. Mine took about 30 to 45 minutes Drain the fat from the pan frequently. Once it starts slowing down you can stop cooking it. All easy pork belly recipes are going to require you to render off the fat a bit first.
Making Crispy Pork Belly Recipes at Home
Once you have cooked the pork belly, you can choose whatever type of flavors you want to create your own crispy pork recipes! I love sticky glazed Asian pork dishes. The combination of teriyaki, ginger, honey, and HEAT made this teriyaki pork belly absolutely delicious.
If you are trying to save money but love Chinese food, this is an easy Chinese recipe to make at home. Adjust the amount of heat in this pork belly recipe to your own preference! For a real ‘Chinese food’ experience, serve with wooden chopsticks. Serve this over your favorite rice. Check out my oven baked rice recipe for tips on cooking rice in the oven.
Teriyaki Pork Belly Recipe with Jasmine Rice
This glazed teriyaki pork belly recipe is delicious served over jasmine rice with sesame seeds and green onions. Crispy pork belly with a sweet teriyaki glaze is melt in your mouth delicious! If you want to make a homemade teriyaki sauce, check out Taste and Tell.
- 1 pound pork belly
- 2 TBSP sesame oil
- 1 to 2 TBSP honey
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 1 TBSP soy sauce
- 2 TBSP teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 TBSP sriracha (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tsp lemon grass
- pinch fresh pepper
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and finely diced
- 1/2 TBSP sesame seeds
- Jasmine Rice for serving
- Score the fattiest side of the pork belly with a sharp knife
- Set a cast iron frying pan on a cold burner and place the pork belly fat side down in the pan
- Turn the frying pan on medium low and cook until the fat almost stops rendering out of the meat. Turn once or twice while cooking. Timing will vary depending on how thick the pork belly and how fatty it is.
- Once the fat coming out of the meat has slowed down, remove from the pan.
- Dice the meat into bit sized pieces and return to pan, cooking a few more minutes to crisp up the outside and cook off a bit more fat. Drain fat from pan.
- In a small bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients and stir well.
- Pour the sauce over the meat in the pan.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until glaze is thick and clinging to meat.
- Remove from pan and sprinkle with diced jalapenos and sesame seeds if desired.
- Serve over jasmine rice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 516Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 726mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 28g
Nutrition information not always accurate
Love this crispy pork belly recipe? Pin it for Later!
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.