One of the biggest mistakes people make when deciding to try to lose weight and get healthy is to think that they have to give up snacking. The most successful nutrition plans have us eating approximately 6 to 8 times a day, which breaks down to about once every two to three hours during waking hours. Those moments of caloric intake are not supposed to be gigantic meals filled with fattening foods! Small meals and healthy snacks through out the day leave us feeling more satisfied and make it easier to stick to our changes in eating habits. When blood sugar drops, we get cranky and irritable so happy dieters need to snack often! I would like to encourage you to go one step farther in your healthy snacking plan…why not choose ORGANIC snacks to get yourself in shape this year?
Why Choose Organic Snacks?
Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links.
Choosing organic snacks have a lot of benefits in our diets which include:
1. Organic snacks are free of all things FAKE: If you turn over your package of non organic snacks foods you are likely to see things with really long names and even a few numbers! Actual food ingredients should be pronounceable and easy to identify. If it was produced in a laboratory and has artificial colors or dyes in it, you should think twice about actually eating it!
2. Organic snacks are better for the environment: Organic farmers use natural methods to grow their crops that don’t involve huge amounts of chemical fertilizers, pesticides or herbicides. They use farming methods like cover crops and crop rotation so that they are not depleting the soil of vital nutrients needed for future plantings.
3. Organic snacks are pesticide free: This goes hand in hand with organic snacks being better for the environment. No artificial pesticides are used on the ingredients that make up your organic snacks. What does that mean? It means that when you EAT those snacks you can rest assured that you are significantly reducing your exposure to harmful chemicals in your food.
4. Organic snacks must be GMO free: While the issue of Genetically Modified Foods is still hotly debated, you can assure yourself that your organic snacks are free of all genetic modification. Whether this makes any difference in the overall scheme of things, we have to wait and see!
✯Don’t want to miss the next post?✯
Or join the private Facebook group for simple tips on going green!
5. Organic snacks may be higher in nutrients: There is a lot of scientific research going on right now and some of it is suggesting that organic foods actually have higher levels of some nutrients and antioxidants when compared to traditionally grown foods. While this idea is still being studied, it certainly sounds reasonable to me that foods grown harmoniously with nature are actually healthier. We will have to see where these studies lead before deciding for sure!
In general, choosing organic foods whenever possible will go a long way towards reducing our carbon footprint and improving our environment. Organic snacks make dieting a little bit easier and Newman’s Own Organics has a great selection of healthy and organic snacks to help you start your new year’s diet off on the right foot. Their snack line ranges from popcorn and pretzels to dried fruit and licorice…and a ton of other items, too! You can check out their entire line of products and you will probably find something for just about everyone in your family to snack on. My kid’s favorite is the mint Newman-Os and I must admit, I indulge in a cookie or two on occasion, too!
For my review, I received a wonderful selection of dried fruits, popcorn, and pretzels to try out. They are all high in fiber and low in fat, which makes them great snack ideas for people trying to watch their weight and improve their overall health. I also like snacks that I can ‘nibble’ on over the course of the day…If I eat ONE cookie, it is gone way too fast, right? But, if I have a bowl full of popcorn I can make it last a little bit longer which helps keep me busy and takes my mind off my desire for cookies! Here is a little bit about each of these snacks from the Newman’s Own website:
Pretzels: These pretzels are all baked, not fried and have only 1 to 1.5 grams of fat per serving with no trans fats. They come in a ton of different flavors and shapes including: Spelt • Salted Sticks • High Protein • Unsalted Rounds • Rods Thin Sticks •Salted Rounds • Honey Wheat Mini Salted Thins • Mighty Mini
Dried Fruit: Contains no sulfites and varieties include Raisins, Cranberries, Pitted Prunes, Apples, Apricots and a Berry Blend.
Organic Microwave Popcorn: Comes in Butter, Light Butter, and Unsalted varieties. Each box has three packets and contains organic corn and organic palm oil. NO partially hydrogenated oils or trans fatty acids are used.
Newman’s Own Organic Snacks
So, what did I think of the snacks that I was sent? I can honestly say that I would happily much on an entire bag of any of these products. For the popcorn, my favorite is the butter flavored. It is made with a natural butter flavor that is light and doesn’t leave your fingers at all greasy. It is just a tad bit salty and delicious. Of course, the others are tasty, too, but that one is my favorite. I loved all of the dried fruits and couldn’t say that once was any better than another. They are all incredibly tender and moist. I enjoy eating them on their own but they would also go great in trail mix or baked goods. We buy the Newman’s Own Organic raisins almost every week because we put them in oatmeal, on ants on a log, and eat them straight out of the container regularly! For the pretzels, I tend to be a traditionalist and always choose the salted sticks but I was really surprised with how tasty the spelt pretzels were. I have never tried anything made with spelt but it is supposed to be a very nutritious grain. I must admit that unsalted pretzels are not my favorite but since hubby is watching his salt intake he likes to sit down with a bowl and dip them in a healthy homemade Nutella recipe. Crazy snack but low in sodium!
If you want to start on a healthier snack routine in 2013, I highly recommend you check out the organic snacks from Newman’s Own Organics. I think you will be very pleased with the taste and at the same time you will be helping reduce your ecological footprint!
About Newman’s Own Organics: They became an independent company in late 2001. All products are third party certified by Oregon Tilth to ensure they meet or exceed all organic standards established by the USDA. Through the sale of its products, Newman’s Own Organics generates money for The Newman’s Own Foundation to donate to a wide range of charitable organizations.
Newman’s Own Organics would like to provide one of my readers with a prize package that includes a selection of dried fruit, pretzels and popcorn to get you on your way to healthier snacking. Follow the directions in the form to enter the giveaway. The contest ends at midnight EST on January 30th, 2013.
Disclaimer: In accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials.”: I received product samples in exchange for my honest review. I received no monetary compensation. All opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone. Some of the links in this post may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. By entering this giveaway, you release this blog and it’s owner from any liability whatsoever, and waive any and all causes of action, related to any claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the giveaway or delivery, mis-delivery or acceptance of any prize.
Diane has a Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology with a Minor in Health Management and Policy. She spent many years working in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging as a way to share this knowledge with others. While passionate about health and the environment she can’t quite give up her favorite Cheetos and Diet Coke! Learn more about her HERE.