You are what you eat, and you are what you don’t eat as well. One of the best indicators a healthy diet is through natural hair and nail strength, and their general appearances. Hair and nails, along with skin, can be the first physical indicators of well-balanced diet.
What is a well balanced diet? It is one that includes the right balance of proteins, vitamins, and minerals. Knowing how to eat healthy isn’t always easy, however, you will see the results of a healthy diet from head to toe! Follow these healthy eating tips for optimum health!
Table of Contents
Healthy Hair and Nails
Hair and nails are made of proteins, specifically keratin, collagen, and elastin. Proteins provide the foundations for cells. Having a protein-rich diet is important in general, but especially so to promote healthy hair and nail growth and appearance.
Hair that is shiny and strong along with nails that are glossy and smooth can best be achieved by eating a protein-rich diet. Great sources of protein that are also relatively low in calories, fat, and cholesterol include fish (especially salmon), chicken, eggs, beans, and legumes.
Of equal importance is eating a nutrient-rich diet that covers several important vitamins and minerals. These nutrients help rebuild and repair tissues, helping strengthen hair and nails and helping them recover from any damage quickly and coming back stronger than ever.
More Healthy Eating Articles
- Tips for Healthy Eating on a Low Budget
- How to Improve Your Digestion When Eating a Healthy Diet
- Healthy Fruit Salad Recipe with Easy Yogurt Glaze
Nutrients for Cell Repair
Vitamins A and B both help maintain and repair cells. They can be found in protein-rich foods such as tuna, salmon, and other fish, as well as potatoes, turkey, and eggs. Fish oils, either ingested as part of a fishy feast or supplements, are truly outstanding for growing (and keeping) healthy hair and nails.
They should be a staple of any diet, additionally, for their omega-3 properties. Omega 3s help with mental sharpness and improve memory. Kill two birds with one stone by eating protein-rich dishes that also are plentiful in nutrients such as vitamins A and B.
Hair and Nail Supplements
- Nature’s Bounty Optimal Solutions Hair Skin & Nails Extra Strength
- OLLY Undeniable Beauty for Hair, Skin & Nails Dietary Supplement
- BeRadiant – Full Spectrum Hair Skin & Nails Vitamins for All Hair Types
Vitamin C, found in many fruits and juices, is great for building collagen. Collagen is one of the foundational proteins of hair and nails. Vitamin E is found in many foods and is great for growing beautiful, healthy-looking hair.
More Healthy Hair Tips
- Get frequent trims. This will help prevent dead ends and encourage hair growth.
- Resist the urge to dye your hair. These chemicals are incredibly harsh on your hair.
- Distribute your hair’s natural oil by brushing gently but regularly.
- Eat the right foods. Your hair can’t be healthy without the right nutrients. Follow this article’s healthy eating tips for optimum hair, skin and nail health.
- Avoid heat styling tools. These have a tendency to burn!
- Skip the daily shampoo. Use the weekend to go shampoo free!
- Add a vitamin to your morning routine. Hair vitamins help fill in nutritional gaps and keep hair healthy. Check out my post on dietary supplements for more info.
- Finish your shower with a cool rinse. Hot water strips oils from your hair. A cool water rinse will add a bit more shine.
Watch Your Mineral Intake
Minerals are important as well, particularly iron and zinc. A lack of iron makes hair brittle and can cause it to fall out, while a lack of zinc causes hair loss and brittle nails. Thankfully, both can be found in protein-rich dishes. Eat fish and legumes for iron and a good helping of protein. Consume dairy products for zinc and some more healthy proteins.
By eating a diet high in healthy proteins and covering important vitamins and minerals, it is not difficult to promote healthy and strong hair and nail growth. Eat eggs and drink a glass of milk at breakfast. Make a bean soup for lunch with a juice smoothie on the side.
Enjoying a salmon fillet for dinner will have you feeling great. Eat plenty of protein and cover your bases for vitamins and minerals that build the nails and hair you’ve always wanted. Following a few of these healthy eating tips will have your hair, nail, and skin in tip-top shape!
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.