Wondering how to have a happy, healthy summer vacation? Here are a few healthy summer tips for the whole family to ensure that the next few months are both fun and safe!
Table of Contents
Healthy Summer Tips for the Whole Family
Summer is here (even if the calendar says it isn’t!) and the weather is HOT. Summer vacation brings a relaxed atmosphere to the house that I love but having two teens lounging about all day is enough to drive me batty.
I have already started planning ways to create a happy and healthy summer for the whole family. There are books to request from the library, new bathing suits to buy,family picnics to have and safe sunscreen to purchase for time spent outside. I thought I would share a few of my tips for creating a healthy summer for my family. Summer vacation is no fun if you spend it overheated or end up with food poisoning!
Products for a Healthy Summer:
- Summer Cookbook: 101 Light and Healthy Dinner Recipes for Busy People on a Budget
- Onyx Stainless Steel Popsicle Mold : Make healthy, homemade popsicles for summer treats.
- Sport mineral sunscreen: One of the most important healthy summer tips to remember is to protect yourself from sun damage. Choose a sunscreen that is safe for you AND the reef as well as sweat-proof.
Grill More Than Meat for a Healthy Summer Diet
Summer grilling can be fun but try to think outside the box. Grill mushrooms and vegetables, throw on some fruit kabobs, and make a homemade veggie pizza instead of meat! You can even grill fruit for a unique twist on a summer dessert. If you do want to grill meat, consider grilling seafood instead of hotdogs.
Here are a few summer grilling tips to check out:
- Grilled Papaya Recipe and Tips for Grilling Fruit
- Easy Tips for Grilling Vegetables Perfectly!
- Eco Friendly Grilling Tips: From Food to Fire!
Stay Hydrated Without Bottled Water:
During hot summer months, we need to drink significantly more water than any other time of the year. Keep a pitcher of water in the refrigerator with a few slices of fruit in it for added flavor. Skip the bottled water for a smaller carbon footprint while still maintaining optimum summer health.
Tips for Staying Hydrated
- Don’t wait until you’re thirsty. If you are thirsty, then you are already dehydrated.
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables. They are loaded with water to help keep you hydrated. And ripe watermelon is just delicious!
- Carry a reusable water bottle with you. Fill up whenever you go by a water fountain. Skip the bottled water to save money and reduce your plastic waste.
- When you’re feeling hungry, drink water. Sometimes, your body thinks it is hungry when all it needs is some water!
- Drink water at a restaurant before you order. In fact, skip the soda and alcohol and save yourself a ton of money by drinking their free water instead.
- Drink before, during, and after exercise. Staying healthy in the summer is hard if you exercise outdoor without staying hydrated!
Maintain a Summer Exercise Routine
Don’t let the heat keep you from exercising, just do it before the sun comes up or at dusk to avoid the worst of the summer sun. And remember, there are lots of ways to exercise.
Whether it is summer gardening or going for a walk with the dog, staying healthy during the summer means staying active. Try indoor workouts like yoga if you want to stay away from the sun. Start running in the morning or begin the day with an at home workout.
Tips for Exercising in Summer Heat
- The time of day is important. Outdoor summer workouts are best done when the sun is not at peak strength.
- Wear loose, light-colored clothing. Air drying clothes will help keep sports bras and exercise shorts in tip top shape. Check out my post about how to wash workout clothes to ditch the sink.
- Sunscreen is a must. Try to find a safe sunscreen that is mineral based, reef safe, and contains no nano particles.
- Stay hydrated. Don’t go anywhere without a lot more water than you think you will need.
- Replenish your electrolyte and salt intake while exercising. While we don’t do a lot of sports drinks, in the summer, they really do come in handy.
- If you can, choose shaded trails or pathways that keep you out of the sun. Make sure you let someone know where you are going for safety reasons.
- Check the weather forecast before you start your workout. Summer storms can be dangerous so make sure you know if they are heading your way.
Summer Health Tips for Stress and Relaxation
Don’t let boredom and laziness take over this summer. But, also, don’t totally over schedule yourself either. Maintain summer health not just physically but emotionally as well. Keep you (or your kids!) busy by reading, playing an instrument, learning a language, or taking an online class. Disconnect from social media, the news, and other outside stresses.
The school year is hectic so making the most of summer vacation is tempting. However, when summer vacation gets too over scheduled, it is no longer fun OR healthy.
Be cautious of sun exposure and choose a safe sunscreen:
The sun can burn your skin in an incredibly short amount of time. And once burned, the damage is done! Try to cover up when you go out in the sun with a pool shirt or wide brimmed hat. Avoid outdoor activities during the heat of the day.
Learning how to stay healthy in the summer is important. Whether it is staying hydrating or protecting skin from sunburns, remember these summer tips when the temps climb higher and the sun gets stronger!
Have any other tips for better summer health?
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.