If staying healthy and preventing illness are on your mind, there are many natural ways to boost immunity. Are you considering essential oils to strengthen the immune system? Essential oils for health are one part of an overall healthy lifestyle that you may want to consider.
Table of Contents
Disease Spread on a Global Scale
For the last few months, it seems like everyone is running around like a chicken with it’s head cut off freaking out about disease. Whether they’re worried about Ebola, the flu or the recent measles outbreak, everyone is paranoid about getting sick.
I get it…I really do! We live in a very global society. As a result, disease spreads rapidly. Isolating ourselves in an effort to stay healthy isn’t really feasible. We have no choice but to go to work, school, and even that cesspool we call the doctor’s office. And who really has time to deal with a cold when we have so much stuff to do?
Stay Healthy Naturally with Essential Oils
How do we make sure our immune system is up to fighting off all of the germs that we come into contact with? Because we come across a LOT of germs every day. Of course, most of the time our immune system just shrugs it off as no big deal. But, how do we boost our immune system so it fights off even MORE of these germs? Check out my post about natural immune support. Clean your toothbrush regularly. In addition, stock up on these 10 essential oils to support the immune system!
More Natural Health Articles
- How to Provide Natural Support for Thyroid Health
- National Nutrition Month Ideas for Healthy Living
- 7 Effective Natural Remedies for Chronic Pain
PLEASE NOTE: These are only suggestions and I am not a medical professional. Do your research on proper usage of essential oils. Take care in using them with children and consult a medical professional if you are not getting better!
Essential Oils to Strengthen the Immune System
Using essential oils for health requires research. Some essential oils may cause topical irritation. Others shouldn’t be used on children. Of course, before beginning any natural health regimen, learn everything you can about each type of essential oil you want to use.
- Tea Tree Oil has strong antibacterial and antiviral properties. It’s for topical application only!
- Lavender Oil has antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory effects. It also helps relax our minds and bodies so that we can rest. As a result, we replenish our energy reserves and are better able to fight off infection.
- Oregano essential oil has antimicrobial properties that help fight colds, improve digestion, and may support your immune and respiratory systems. Use caution when applying Oregano topically. It is very caustic and can cause skin irritation.
- Frankincense helps reduce stress and focus the mind. There are many people who believe in the power of mind over matter. Basically, THINK yourself well and you will get better faster!
- Garlic Oil may be used topically by rubbing it on the bottom of the feet. Dilute 4% in carrier oil first and yes, you will smell like garlic bread so best do this one at night when you are home alone! Garlic has great antibacterial properties.
- Lemon Oil helps your lymphatic system clear waste from the body more efficiently. In addition, it may boost white blood cell production to fight infection.
- Mandarin Oil has antiseptic, antispasmodic, circulatory, digestive, and sedative properties. Mandarin oil helps to circulate blood and lymph. As a result, your body may clear out infection faster.
- Grapefruit Oil helps the body flush out unwanted toxins.
- Rosemary Oil has analgesic, antibacterial, anticancer, anti fungal, anti-infectious, and anti-inflammatory qualities. This oil is best used topically or aromatically in a diffuser, and not ingested.
How to use essential oils for immune support
How do you use essential oils to strengthen the immune system? There are many ways to incorporate them into your natural health routine. Here are a few that I find helpful:
Strengthen the Immune System with an Essential Oil Massage:
Massage is a good way to apply essential oils and the touch therapy can be very relaxing. Dilute essential oils in a carrier oil like organic olive oil as described below:
- Full-body: (12 drops in 2 ounces of carrier oil)
- Neck and shoulder: (12 drops in 1 ounce of carrier oil)
- Feet: (10-25 drops in 1 ounce of carrier oil) Massage feet and and put on some socks before bed.
Add Essential Oils To Your Bath for Better Health:
Add 10 drops of essential oil to warm bath water after you have gotten yourself into the tub. However, make sure you wash the tub out well afterwards. They can leave an oily residue that may damage the surface of your tub.
Inhaling Essential Oils:
Place 1-3 drops on a tissue. Inhale the aroma through your nose. Repeat several times, pausing a few minutes between breaths. In addition to this, you can also add essential oils to an oil diffuser to scent the entire room.
Make a DIY Body Lotion with Essential Oils:
Add 6-30 drops of essential oil in 1 ounce of fragrance-free, natural moisturizing lotion. Apply to your skin, especially after a shower or bath. This is a great way to use essential oils to strengthen the immune system while also reconnecting with your spouse!
Getting Started with Aromatherapy for Immune Support
We all have aches, pains, emotional issues and assorted illnesses. Aromatherapy can be a huge benefit to help improve our heath and well being. Once you decide to give aromatherapy a try, there are a few simple supplies you should invest in. Here are just a few items that come in handy when you begin your journey in aromatherapy to support your immune system.
Essential Oil Research is KEY!
There are thousands of different types of essential oils and each one has it’s own benefits and risks associated with it. Learn what each essential oil is used for and what precautions need to be taken before using it. Some are contraindicated during pregnancy, may cause skin irritation or may not be appropriate for small children. A good essential oil book is a must before you start on the road to aromatherapy!
Buy Common Essential Oils Early
There are a few key essential oils that you should invest in but only you can determine which ones those are. If you are frequently stressed out, suffer from headaches, and get upset stomachs, focus on essential oils and aromatherapy blends appropriate for those problems.
You don’t want to wait until your head is pounding to go out and look for the right essential oil to treat migraines! Buy a few at a time and store them in a cool dark place so they stay fresh as long as possible.
Support Your Immune System with an Oil Diffuser
There are many different types of essential oil diffusers. Some require that you plug them in or use batteries to power them. Others use only the light of a candle to warm the essential oils.
Take into account the size of the room you are trying to fill. A small, candle powered diffuser will reach a smaller space than a large, electric powered one. Make sure to wash it out between uses to avoid cross contaminating your scents!
Essential Oils For Your Personal Space
Aromatherapy is not just for rooms. You can use certain essential oils directly on your skin (especially pulse points) to keep the scent with you wherever you go. You can also use essential oils on an aromatherapy eye pillow or neck pillow.
In addition, you can put aromatherapy sachets in your pillow, or just tuck a few cotton balls scented with essential oils into a muslin tea bag to keep on your desk at work. If stress hits you at work, it makes sense to take some de-stressing essential oils with you when you go!
Aromatherapy can be a big help when it comes to our health and well being. Of course, if you have any serious medical issues or are curious about starting aromatherapy, check with your doctor. Whether it is to relax, gain more energy, treat a headache, or just provide mental clarity, essential oils have many uses in our everyday lives. Check out AromaWeb for detailed information about each essential oil and how to use essential oils to strengthen the immune system. Then, check out my natural flu shot remedy and ginger detox bath for even better health!
Which Essential Oils to Strengthen the Immune System do YOU use?
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.