This vegetarian burrito bowl recipe is bursting with spices and flavor. It’s delicious and easy for your Meatless Monday dinner recipe or add chicken, beef, or shrimp if you prefer the carnivore version. Burrito rice bowls are an easy solution to busy week nights when you need a healthy dinner on the table, FAST.
Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links.
What’s in a burrito rice bowl?
So, what do you put on a burrito when you go to Chipotle for lunch? Just about everything, right? Well, those same ingredients can go in a vegetarian burrito bowl recipe without the mess of a tortilla wrap. Just a few suggestions include corn, diced tomatoes, red onion, cheese, cilantro, and the list goes on and on.
You can use either brown or white rice when making rice bowls, however, keep in mind that brown rice takes about an hour to cook. Make it on the weekend for a really fast weeknight meal.
Like this burrito bowl recipe? Try these rice bowls, too:
- Shrimp Fajita Rice Bowl Recipe This Shrimp Fajita Rice Bowl Recipe is a quick dinner recipe with bold Mexican flavors. Loads of shrimp, peppers and onions with plenty of fajita seasoning served over rice with fresh cilantro.
- Sweet Chili Alaska Salmon Bowl Recipe with Brown Rice. If you need healthy seafood recipes, this sweet chili Alaska Salmon bowl recipe is the perfect addition to your meal plan!
- Blackened Shrimp Bowl Recipe with Corn Salsa. This blackened shrimp bowl recipe is loaded with flavor and is a delicious dinner recipe that is as pretty as it is tasty.
This Mexican veggie burrito bowl just begs for fresh avocados. You can either dice up avocados right before serving, or drizzle your burrito bowl with avocado cilantro crema, which is an avocado based creamy sauce that is delicious as a last minute topping.
✯Don’t want to miss the next post?✯
Or join the private Facebook group for simple tips on going green!
Prefer a vegetarian burrito bowl recipe with Indian flavors instead of Mexican? That is easy to do! Just substitute cauliflower and chickpeas for the corn and black beans and sprinkle with cumin.
Vegetarian Burrito Bowls with Beans
Meat can be incredibly expensive, especially when you buy organic and sustainably raised varieties. However, meat is not a necessity in our diet. It can easily be replaced with a number of cheaper and healthier alternatives. Stock up on protein alternatives for dinner this month.
Black beans are one of my favorite vegetarian sources of protein and they are incredibly versatile. Of course, you can make burrito bowls vegetarian using just about any type of bean you want.
Black bean burrito bowl meal prep tips
This vegetarian burrito bowl recipe took less than 30 minutes to make and most of that time was just cooking the rice. If you cook up your rice ahead of time, you can have this easy Meatless Monday recipe done in about 15 minutes. Great for a busy weeknight meal or any night you are just too tired to cook something complicated!
I chose to buy mostly organic items but the recipe works just fine with conventional items as well. Want to meal prep burrito bowls for the whole month> Here are a few tips:
- Save money by cooking black beans from scratch. You can freeze cooked beans so make them up ahead of time and freeze them back in 1 cup serving sizes. Check out Delish to learn how.
- If you want to meal prep burrito bowls, skip the fresh tomatoes and use jarred salsa instead. You can freeze it or just keep jars of it in your pantry.
- Cook the rice for your vegetarian burrito bowl recipe ahead of time! This is the most time consuming step of this rice bowl recipe.
- Add seasonings to boost flavor. Freezing foods often takes some of the freshness out of the meal. For added flavor, season with adobo sauce, fresh lime juice, fajita seasoning, or whatever other Mexican flavors you prefer.
Finish your Mexican dinner recipe with dessert!
Of course, since no good meal is quite complete without dessert, make this delicious Mexican dipping chocolate. With fresh strawberries in season this month, this was the perfect ending to a delicious dinner!
Vegetarian Burrito Bowl Recipe
This healthy Mexican burrito bowl is loaded with rice, beans, and lots of fresh ingredients. Let me know if you try my vegetarian burrito rice bowl recipe and I would love to know what YOUR favorite Meatless Monday recipe is!
Nutrition information not always accurate
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 460Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 594mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 8gSugar: 10gProtein: 10g
Nutrition information not always accurate
Diane has a Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology with a Minor in Health Management and Policy. She spent many years working in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging as a way to share this knowledge with others. While passionate about health and the environment she can’t quite give up her favorite Cheetos and Diet Coke! Learn more about her HERE.